Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Flabum

Flabum

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:30 PM

3 year old HP running Windows Vista 32 bit, I.E. 9., AMD X2 processor, 3GB RAM, 260 GB free on the HDD

Have an updated Norton AV
Ran Malwarebytes, adaware, defrag and system file check.
Ran the Microsoft malicious tool remover.
Ran memtest
All reports are clean.

The problems are:

slower than normal boot.
way slower than normal shut down.
a lot of trouble loading stored (offline) webpages.
constant hard drive activity.

The machine ahs always had updated AV, AdAware and Makwarebytes installed. In the past year it has prgressively gotten slower in booting and running

The shut down will hang at "shutting down" for 5 or more minutes whether shutting down or restarting. The little wheel continues to spin during this time.

while trying to load a saved web page, the I.E. will stop responding and prompt a reload, this will happen several times before it will finnally load. surfing the web is ok, no issues, only problems with stored web pages. I put one of the pages on a thumb drive and it does the same thing on my Win 7 machine, so it may have something to do with the age of the page and maybe it's trying to update stuff on the page like ads....

your help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Flabum

Flabum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:05 PM

one last note with the stored web pages; if I disconnect from the internet (remove the cable) the stored pages will load without a problem.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:55 AM

It could be a malware issue, but let's first see if it's something loading with the system. Please try a selective startup:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#4 SteveHilma

SteveHilma

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 11:34 AM

Allen is most likely correct per my experience with the Windows Event log experience and Adobe uninstall. Thanks, Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users