Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Facebook Cookie Tracks Users Even When They're Logged Out

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:58 PM

Facebook may not be planning to shut down your account or charge you, but that doesn't mean that they aren't doing some things that you might want to be concerned about. Say, for example, tracking users even after they log out of the site.

http://techland.time.com/2011/09/26/facebook-cookies-work-even-if-youre-logged-out-for-your-own-good/

Dave Winer wrote a timely piece (see »scripting.com/stories/2011/09/24···gMe.html) this morning about how Facebook is scaring him since the new API allows applications to post status items to your Facebook timeline without a users intervention. It is an extension of Facebook Instant and they call it frictionless sharing. The privacy concern here is that because you no longer have to explicitly opt-in to share an item, you may accidentally share a page or an event that you did not intend others to see.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26358775-Facebook-Cookie-Tracks-Users-Even-When-They-are-Logged-Out

This is how Facebook tracks you
Facebook 'euthanising privacy', but denies tracking users

What Can I Do About It?

Edited by boopme, 27 September 2011 - 09:01 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DarrenHulu

DarrenHulu

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:31 PM

Is it safe to use Facebook?

Edited by DarrenHulu, 10 January 2012 - 10:37 PM.

#3 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:57 AM

Is it safe to use Facebook?

It is the same that you post here on Bleepingcomputer!
On every site take you a risk for spying.

#4 Linda.Christ

Linda.Christ

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:05 AM

If so... By using facebook, does our personal info privacy at risk?

#5 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:28 AM

Linda I think that it is how you make the settings.
When you in Facebook than have you the choices for make your profile private; no one can see your profile, you have the setting public, everyone can see you; don't do that and you have the choice for make the setting only for friends; in that last case, only your friends can see your profile.
When you be afraid that your private is in dangerous, than is it a good idea that you set the setting on private.
It is in fact the same here on Bleepingcomputer, when you make in the Computer forum in your profile, your private adres visible, than is the risk there that you get possible Spam and worse, what I did tell is not only on Bleepingcomputer, you have that problem on all forums.

Edited by Computer-man, 24 January 2012 - 05:32 AM.

#6 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:13 AM

Still boils down to browsing habits in my opinion. Surfing the internet is like going on vacation. Lots of neat things to see and do, but you don't let your kids walk around by themselves, you have to know where you're going, and you have got to know that someone is going to try to pick your pocket. You can't trust Facebook or any other site to protect you...one way or another, it's all about the money, and they have to get it somehow.
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#7 Guest_Computer-man_*

Guest_Computer-man_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 January 2012 - 05:10 AM

You can't trust Facebook or any other site to protect you...one way or another

When your ip is hidden, than is it not necessary that you must be afraid that someone hack you or send you spam.
In an earlier message did I say, here on B.C. is the risk the same as Facebook.
Of course take you also a risk with another site.
That's the reason that it is important that you can hide your ip-adress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users