I'm thinking this ol' computer is about back to about 95% healthy...the other 5% I may try to work off in another thread.
The exercise you suggested put me into a whole different world...way over my head! But I followed the instructions:
1) Generated a Linux based bootable ISO disk
2) Ran Memtest 86+ Test 0 through Test 8 for 6 passes with 0 errors / Ran for 9 hrs, 15 minutes
3) Ran Memtest 86+ Test 9 for 3 passes with 0 errors / Ran for 9+ hours
I have discovered one conclusion: The high pitch "Bleep" sound in my "Bleep - Beep - Beep" start-up sequence was caused by having an USB connected external hard disk attached! I never gave it a thought to disconnect that drive before but when I read that the computer will first go to a CD drive for initial instructions, I disconnected that hard drive...and much to my amazement, the start-up sounds went back to the very fast "Beep - Beep"...like the good ol' times!
I still have no idea what the other sequences I heard meant (Beep - Bleep - Beep), or why the time between those "Beep - Beep" sounds became longer and longer, but for now I can accept what this computer is doing.
Thank you very much for taking the time with me and for suggesting those other URLs. I'll have to show them to my nephew who talks that language!
Edited by Knock312, 04 October 2011 - 07:21 PM.