Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attempt to Write to Read Only Memory...Endless Rebooting...Cannot Start Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TickyBox

TickyBox

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:50 PM

As the title suggests, I am getting a, "attempt to write to read only memory" blue screen when I try to boot my computer. It goes through the regular start up motions, then gets to the "windows was not shut down properly" screen. No matter if I choose to start windows normally or the last known good configuration it gets to the black XP loading screen then blue screens, reboots and the cycle begins all over again. Neither of the three options for safe mode will load either; I'll get the typical flood of text like it's going to load and then the same BSOD reboot.

None of the hardware has been touched aside from the removal of the USB mouse for use in another computer if you can even count that. I've ran the XP recovery console with chkdsk fixboot and fixmbr to no avail. I also ran an AVG recovery disk which found no viruses as well as Memtest86 which found no errors in the RAM. None of the cables are loose and there's hardly anything on the hard drive so low space isn't an issue either. Any insight into this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:35 PM

Unfortunatley...that error message is pretty generic, can be caused by any number of problems from drivers to bad hardware.

System/motherboard manufacturer and model?

Any onscreen error messages that you ignored...prior to the reboot looping?

Any clues that something was wrong...before the looping?

Louis

#3 TickyBox

TickyBox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

System is custom built:
Hard drive: Western Digital Caviar Blue 160GB
Mobo: Gigabyte S-Series M161PME-S2P
Proc: AMD Athalon X2 4400+ Brisbane 2.3 GHz Socket AM2
RAM: Wintec 1GB DDR2 800 240 pin
Onboard video and sound

There was no indication something was wrong before this error. The computer was fully operational when I used it and I received no issues from my parents (it's their computer and they're very quick to tell me of any errors) either. It's been fine for months, so this boggles my mind as to why it's doing this now, especially since it doesn't get used all that often.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:55 AM

Since you cannot boot and have a Windows XP CD...I would try a repair install of XP...after running the appropriate hard drive diagnostic. No point in trying to repair if the hard drive has problems.

Data Lifeguard for DOS

Louis

#5 TickyBox

TickyBox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:13 PM

Both a quick and thorough scan of the hard drive with the diagnostic you posted gave me "0000 No errors found." A repair installation of XP after I ran the HD scan also yielded the same error.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

Well...it seems that the hard drive and the O/S are vindicated, leaving only malware and the other hardware components as suspects, IMO.

You seem to assert that there was no indication of malware...that leaves the various hardware components.

Louis

#7 TickyBox

TickyBox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:09 PM

As everything is onboard, the only non essential hardware I could disconnect were the two IDE CD ROM drives. I disconnected one, started it up, and got the same error so I went and disconnected them both. Oddly enough, I couldn't even get the BIOS screen to show after I disconnected the two. I went and reconnected the one that gave me the error and still couldn't get the BIOS to display. It wasn't until I connected them both did it display again and said, "resetting CPU clock speed in CMOS press F1 to continue." I didn't remove the battery or touch the jumpers, so I'm not sure why it displayed that. I still got the BSOD error after that as well.

As for malware, it could still be a possibility. I only ran the AVG virus scan on their bootable recovery disk so it may have missed something.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,261 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:31 PM

<<...resetting CPU clock speed in CMOS press F1.>>

Strange message...I would automatically think that the CMOS battery is dying...and replace it.

There is no reason for the system to ever take it upon itself to adjust hardware settings...unless the CMOS battery is failing and such can cause all sorts of atypical error messages, IME.

Google Topics On Error

Louis

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:39 PM

Try connecting the drive to another working system, backup files then just format it under disk management tools. If drive is recognized on another PC you could also run check disk option for recovering files system errors and bad sectors by checking both options.

Edited by jhayz, 28 September 2011 - 05:40 PM.

Tekken

#10 TickyBox

TickyBox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:55 PM

Sorry if I wasn't clear, but it only did the CMOS thing once. After I hit F1 and it rebooted it didn't appear again and continued with the error I've been having since the beginning. I'm not sure if I have a replacement battery I can pop in to test it, but for what it's worth, the board is only a year and a half old.

jhayz: Thanks for the reply, but I'd like to leave formatting as a very last resort. It'd be one thing if it was my computer, but as it's not, I'd like to preserve the information if at all possible.

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:18 PM

I thought that you cannot boot and stuck on the bluescreen that is why I suggested to work it on another computer. :lol:

Tekken

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:28 PM

Please do the following:

Get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
  • Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.

Posted Image
  • Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
  • Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.

Posted Image
  • Record the error message details (contained in the areas outlined in red, in the above example image), and post in your reply.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#13 TickyBox

TickyBox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:39 PM

jhayz: I cannot boot into windows itself, but I am able to boot from a disk which I've done several times already to run different diagnostic tests and attempt to make repairs. The blue screen only appeared for half a second if that before rebooting.

AustrAlien: Ahh thanks for that. I completely forgot about that option. It says: An attempt was made to write to read only memory
STOP: 0x000000BE (0x806E1800, 0x006E1121, 0xF78A277C, 0x0000000B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users