Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Huge Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lytic

lytic

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:19 PM

i have windows xp home edition w/o SP@ cuz it caused some problems, i was going to reinstall it but i never got to it. anyways after a power outage(during which time my PC was on), i turned my computer on and it worked fine. when i next tried to turn it on, it started differently. it started with this "Realtek boot agent" which said "press shift+f10 for options" and then the next screen said "Realtek blah blah fast ethernet controller ydda yadda" which i am asuming is my original network card. i say this because a couple days before this event i installed a new wireless network card. on this screen it said "DNCH...../" and the slash kept progressing across the screen leaving more periods behind it. and eventually it said "network boot failed" and on the next line said "exiting PXE rom" and then after a short time the next screen said " we apologize for this inconvenience. windows di not start successfully. this could ave been caused by recent hard ware change. yadda yadda." then it gave me three options. start in safe mode, safe mode w/network, and safe mode w/command prompt. it started pissing me off obviously at this point. and there were 2 other options starting with last known good configuration and start windows normally. now i tried all the safe modes but tey ended up listing all these files from the windows folder, you know te core files like dll and stuff, and it kept scrolling across my screen eventually it stopped nd then froze. and for the last known good config. it went to the windows xp loading screen and when it finished loading a blue screen with some writing flashed and then the comp restarted. same for the start windows normally. now i didn't have mch on my harddrive cept programs so i popped my restore cd in and restored the system files and wen i tried my comp again it went to the apologizing screen and when i tried the safe modes it did the same thing but when i tried the last known config and start normally it went to the loading screen and freezed when the bar hit the end. plz i ask for advice, does it have to do with my netwrk card? my hardrive really screwed up passed fixin?

btw i used another comp and set my own HD as slave and the other comp's HD as master and all the files seemed fine. so i did the opposite with my own comp setting my own HD as master and ther other as slave and it didnt work giving me the same errors. so i tried using my own HD as slave and the other HD as master. this time when the loading screen finished blue screen said that windows did not succussflly load. i believe tis screen was the one that i saw earlier that just flashed. it said this time that the problem mght have caused by a recent harddrive change not hard ware like it said last time. it said to check the computer not hard drive for viruses, i have no idea how to do that. so now i ask what the hell should i do? i beg and plead what the hell should i do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:34 PM

Possibly some of your os files were hosed during the power outage/abnormal shutdown.

It is uncommon, but it happens. Using the second hard drive as master would have encountered a strange hardware environment and sometimes windows can handle it and sometimes it can't.

To repair your system try this.

If you have a windows xp disk then boot from the disk.

The first screen that comes up asks if you want to run the recovery console, say no.

At the next screen you have a choice of repair or reinstall. Choose repair.

This should fix any os files that were corrupted or lost and retain your programs and files.

If you still have a problem, then the power outage, particularly if there was a voltage spike, could have damaged your hardware. Hopefully that didn't happen. If you don't have one, I would recommend a nice ups, uninterruptible power supply to protect against future events.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:49 PM

Hello.
Some NIC have a CMOS which allow them to boot from a network. That is what PXE does. From what you have posted I suspect your motherboard battery is bad. It forgot the BIOS setting and reverted back to the network default settings. My Dell GX1 have had the same problem from time to time.
Go into the BIOS Setup and see if the boot order includes PXE. If it does remove it. Do not push it to the bottom of the boot order, but remove it altogether if possible. On some machines it is not in the boot order but a stand alone option. If it is uncheck/disable the option.

PXE defined
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 lytic

lytic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:07 PM

thx, now i did use the restore CD b4 and restore it all im not sure if all the file are wiped since some norton ghost program came up and just "replaced" the system file leavin everythin else fine. now acklan need to ask, is tat battery the shiny circular one that costs like 5 dollars each that you can only buy at like radoshack and stuff? also what are NIC and CMOS hehe. thx to all who gave input btw

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:44 PM

You can actually buy that battery almost anywheres. I have even bought them at Albertson's Grocrey Store, and Walmart.
NIC (Network Interface Card) is the connection toyour DSL or Cable modem. Commonly call Ethernet port. You can have it built-in, PCI, USB, or PCMCIA Card for notebook computers.
CMOS is a small chip built into the NIC or computer that has instruction on how the computer, or in this case a device, will work at boot.

Make sence??

#6 lytic

lytic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:47 PM

ok got that, but when i tried to do it, i could nly go into that screen with the blue bckground and it said PXE so i pressed the left key and it had RPL so let it stay there. then no more of those two black screen i kept getting. but still i got the apologizing page with the 5 options tat all didint work ...?

#7 lytic

lytic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:55 PM

also would like to add that my eternet port is built in i think but i have card that has been there right under my video card (geforce 5200fx i think) that has two phone ports outside it. is that i network card?

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:43 PM

Try tapping the F2 key while booting to get into Setup. This will happen before Windows starts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users