Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to recover sudo (not user) password for ubuntu linux

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Pentazoid

Pentazoid

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:43 PM

I have been googling tips on how to recover sudo password for ubuntu linux. However, the only pages that have been popping up are tips on how to recover the user password, not the sudo password. I did not initially know my sudo password because the computer I bought was a refurbished laptop and had ubuntu linux os already installed on it. It was pre used, but it did set me the option to set a new user password. I need my sudo password to download certain software applications and to update some software applications.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:02 PM

pen, your sudo password should be the same as your user password. check it out and let me know. when you get prompted for password try it. very rarely is the sudo password different than the users. if this doesnt work try resetting your password and then your password should work for sudo. hope this helps
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#3 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:10 PM

let me know if you still have to reset your password. i will give you a link for an easy way
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#4 Pentazoid

Pentazoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 04:59 PM

Try resetting my user password needed to log on to ubuntu linux? My user password and sudo password are intrinsically linked?

#5 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:25 PM

On Ubuntu the first user assigned a password is an administrator using sudo. You use that user's password for sudo. If you're the only one on the machine, your password is the sudo password.

#6 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:26 PM

yes but you can change that also so if you have to

#7 Pentazoid

Pentazoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:16 PM

That worked, thanks. The problem was, I thought my log on password was my username password.

#8 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:32 PM

pen glad you got it fixed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users