Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeking shareware DVD player

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Number_6

Number_6

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:39 PM

I'm looking for recommendations for a free DVD player for my Win XP Pro desktop--preferably software that will not ask to install some "free" "goodie".

Details: I'm using Win XP Pro. My version of wmplayer.exe is shown as 63K (this is surely a launcher that launches other software, and not the actual software that plays a DVD) and is dated 10/19/2006.

On *some* DVDs, when I put them into the DVD drive, they launch a box that has the title of the DVD at the top, and that gives me 3 options: play the DVD, take no action, or Open Folder to View Files. (This happens on 2 DVDs with old B+W movies).

On more recent DVDs, when I put the disk into the drive, the disk wants to install some software on my machine, because the first thing that happens is that my firewall software (COMODO) pops up a warning; when I tell it to put the software into the Sandbox (which appears to quarantine it), the next thing that happens is that a box pops up with some information about installing some software HOTLLAMA).

On other DVDs, I can launch Windoze media player, but it cannot locate the proper codec for the DVD.

So I'm seeking:

1. Recommendations for reliable, hnest software (free or shareware) to play DVDs.
2. A good general discussion of this situation.

Edited by hamluis, 26 September 2011 - 05:25 PM.
Moved from XP to Audio/Video Software.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

I think VLC will do what you want.

#3 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 07:34 AM

Yes.

Also Mplayer Classic, with FFdshow.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Media-Player-Classic

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ffdshow

#4 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:05 AM

Tnx, Cap'n and 12X48y...will look into them.

#5 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:38 AM

A followup: the VLC software works very nicely, at least on another DVD However, I am still having a problem with a DVD, and this problem is new and puzzling to me.

Briefly: I have a commercial DVD made perhaps 3-4 years ago. It plays nicely in my conventional, stand-alone DVD player, which was made probably 10 years ago.

When I insert this DVD into my DVD drive, even after installing Videolan, this DVD still wants to install some software (HOTLLAMA) in order to play the DVD. Of course, I decline.

The thing that's got me puzzled is that I cannot even click on the drive icon to get a listing of the files on this DVD. When I do click on the icon, I get the same message about installing the HOTLLAMA software!

What gives? How is this disk set up such that I cannot even open Explorer to see what files are there? And how can I get around that?

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 30 September 2011 - 10:08 PM

Do you have AutoPlay enabled, on that drive?
If so, disable it, and that should allow you to explore the disk.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Number_6

Number_6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:45 AM

ARGH!!!!!! Of course! I knew that--but it's been so long since I last played with that, I'd forgotten. Thank you.

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:44 PM

You're quite welcome.
It's always the simple things, that get you. :)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users