Jump to content


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.


Test For Web Design

  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 christa


  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:32 PM

My supervisor has asked me to look for info. for a practice test for someone we may hire to do our web page. Is there a specific test that people take to become "certified" in web design?
I am hoping to find a free, practice test and then go from there.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)


#2 groovicus


  • Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Centerville, SD
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:13 PM

Not that this will be real helpful, but most people have a "portfolio" of work they have doen, similar to an artists. If they claim to have experience in a language, have them show you something that they have done in that language.

Skillsets vary also. Do you just need someone to do static HTML? Without sounding cheeky, a monkey can learn the basics of HTML in just a few hours (some of the web-sites I have seen prove this conclusively).

If you want dynamically generated pages, then you will need to consider CSS, PHP, JSP, Java Servlets, etc.

EDIT: Not that CSS is necessarily for dynamic pages only.

I can't think of any "certifications" that go along with web design, but I can think of a wide variety of skills that are applicable to web design. IT really depends alot on what you want to do on your web page, or what kind of services you want to provide.

#3 christa

  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:33 AM

Thanks! I appreciate your response. I will ask my supervisor exactly what we need to focus on.

#4 Andrew


    Bleepin' Night Watchman

  • Moderator
  • 8,260 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling
  • Location:Right behind you
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:53 PM

Also, you can ask if they're members of the IWA-HWG (International Webmasters' Association-HTML Writers Guild) and/or if they are certified by them. While many web designers/masters don't go to the IWA-HWG for certification, it's a start.


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users