Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email Virus, from Kingdom of Loathing,

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 deborah256

deborah256

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:58 AM

I do not know enough about computers, I fell for an email virus this morning with a domain name one character off a domain I recognized and didn't notice.
Now everything on my roommates computer appears to be gone.

After I clicked on the link in the email, the windows I was using closed down and error messages popped up saying 'couldn't run system.....' I closed them.
And a window, with the windows symbol open and started doing what appeared to be a virus scan that i didn't recognize and looked off. It told me everything was crashing, the hard drive was to hot and various other things. I decided to not click ont the "fix problem" button, because I had know idea if i could trust it.
I was in the C drive folder looking for the Virus scan I recognized when all the folders dissapeared, i closed down the computer and called a friend.

When I booted the computer at his request, all the "missing" folders are still gone, the system error massages came up again and the virus scan came up. Strangely MSN also loaded and signed in, letting me know the computer is kinda running.
My friend had no advice so I closed down the computer again and started searching for help on the laptop. From talking to people on the kingdom of loathing chat. They said others had had luck booting in safe mode, and that this was a virus that didn't destroy everything, it hides it and asks you to pay to fix it.
They sent me here.

It is possible for me to get more information about the error msgs but i would have to turn the computer on again. I wish I could remember the virus scan that my roommate downloaded last month.

I will probably not try to fix this without my roommate here, I am trying to gather as much information as possible so when they get home from work I might have a solution to this problem. Or at least know how bad it is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:11 AM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team.
Please make sure that you read the information about getting started first.
Then start a new thread HERE and include or required logs.
Including a link to this thread will be helpful.

Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users