Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turns on and then off and then on and off

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 dlenardu

dlenardu

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:40 AM

I have a Lenovo desktop computer, 2 actually. However one of them is acting up. For some reason it just shut off one day and would not do anything. I tested the power supply following a test procedure I found on the net and it tested out good. Then I remembered that the other Lenovo I have did almost the exact same thing and the motherboard was bad. However it was under warranty so it was replaced for free. So I ordered a Motherboard to replace this one. This is a socket 775 and ddr2 memory. The number on my processor is a Pentium D 925 SL9ka 3.00ghz/4m/800/05a. I ordered an MSI motherboard from Tiger Direct. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5501864&CatId=3461 I installed the new motherboard and turn the machine on. Now it will come on(where before it would do nothing) but then it shuts off. It will come on and off about every 5 seconds or so until I hold the button down and shut it completely off. I put in a new power supply and it does the same thing. So I unplugged everything from the mother board (except the Power Supply) and turned it on and it does the same thing. Took the CPU out and turned it on and now the fans will stay on. it doesn't seem to cycle on and off. So I took the CPU and put it in the other Lenovo that I have and it works fine. So my question is: This motherboard states that it will support this processor BUT does Lenovo use some special CPU that will only work in their motherboard? I noticed that inside the socket of the Lenovo motherboard it has little tabs 3 rows of six but the new mother board has 2 rows one top one bottom with 4 tabs per row with the middle two tabs missing, the middle row has a black chip looking piece in the center of it with no tabs at all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users