Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Game Booster 3, anyone have experience with it?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Xezat

Xezat

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 01:21 AM

So just randomly browsing Cnet, I came across this rather interesting sounding program:

http://iobit.com/gamebooster.html

Kinda curious if anyone has any experience with it perhaps? To me, if something sounds too good to be true, it generally is, and while what the premise of what the program offers sounds logical (shutting down all other unnecessary stuff temporarily to devote more power to gaming), I'm just a tad skeptical as to what it might shut down or if it could harm something, either accidentally or not.

So yeah, just wondering if anyone else has heard of this, if it works or improves performance at all, and (most importantly) if it's safe or not.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Xezat

Xezat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:11 PM

Guess no one's heard of it then...mkay.

#3 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:17 PM

I've used it. Actually I think I used gamebooster2. but I doubt there is much of a difference between the two versions.
As far as I can tell it's never caused a problem, and none of my spybot, anti-virus, firewalls, malware removers have ever reported it as a possible bug in the two years I've used it.

As for what it shuts down: when you start it, it gives a list of things running that you probably don't truly need. Then you check the boxes of what you want shut down, and click "game mode" and it shuts down those programs and also shuts down a bunch of other very small background services. There are times this ends up freeing a ton of RAM. But in most cases it frees up very little RAM. It just depends on your system and how long you've had your computer on doing stuff.
When you are done playing your game, just click a button on it to return all the running services.

I've only experienced a couple of problems with it. I remember trying to come out of hibernation while it was set to "game mode" and the computer displayed errors. So I just learned to switch from game mode before hibernating. Also, I was doing something on a secure network, and there was a problem because it had shut down my cryptography service or some goofy stuff like that. but again, the solution is to take it out of game mode so all your services run again. Other wise, you can leave it running in game mode all day and probably never notice an issue with it. But yeah, take it out of game mode when your done playing, everything goes right back to normal.

And as I said, I've never gotten a report about it being a virus or trojan or anything. Also, now that I think about it, I think i have the original gamebooster, I can't check because I am not at "my" computer.

There are times I've played some games that pushed my computer to it's breaking point, and I'd use gamebooster and over clock from 2.6 to 3.0 and the combination of doing that was just enough to get to the game to run smooth. But in most cases neither over clocking or running gamebooster makes a big difference, though sometimes all you need is that extra push, or to free up just that little bit of ram.

And I had a friend who used it and swore every time he went to game mode it free up 1/3rd of his ram. Of course he may have been using this new version 3, and I am using an older version.

So, this program will help a little or it will help a lot, but it can't hurt.
Oh, and gamebooster doesn't over clock your PC, I was just mentioning the over clock thing that I do when I need some extra muscle when a game stutters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users