Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro Password Reset

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mhjkpj

mhjkpj

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 12:50 AM

HP Elitebook 8540w Mobile Workstation running Windows XP Pro. No one at the office knows what the original password or user ID is. It's been sitting unused for 6 months. As far as I can tell, its never been used. The running joke is whoever can guess the correct passwords can trade in their old computer for this one. I already tried the "Offline NT Password & Registry Editor" tool from [http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/]. It tells me that it doesn't recognize the NTFS filesystem type, but I am able to run the HP self diagnostic prior to booting up, and it says everything including memory, hard drive, drivers, and file structure check out. As a "Last Resort" I would consider repartitioning the drive and rebuiling it from scratch, but I want to avoid that if possible. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:04 AM

When we remove a password we require proof of ownership. Why not suggest taking it to a computer shop?

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 08:54 AM

We sympathize with your situation. Though your question about passwords is most likely legitimate, there are those who would pretend to need such assistance in order to gain unauthorized access to a computer not owned by them. We have no way of confirming ownership or if someone is being truthful with us. As such we don't provide step by step instructions but we certainly can help you find the information you seek.

Forgotton Password Instructions provided by Microsoft:
Non-Microsoft Forgotton Password Guides:
Password Recovery Tools:
Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users