Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Retrieving old files after Windows 7 custom install

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rapturous

Rapturous

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:44 PM

So, apparently, the 300 GB of files from my previous OS are still on my harddrive, but I cannot find them. Yes, I'm missing the 300 GB on my HD when I click My Computer, but they're not in this fabled windows.old folder that allegedly has them. I've even used TuneUp Utilities to detect where the data is on my computer, and it can't find them. Bizarre. So, what's taking up all that memory, and, more importantly, how do I get to it? Info:

- Running Windows 7 Ultimate
- There are three windows.old folders. The others have .000 and .001 after it. They have folders within, but none contain my 300 GB of files.
- The C:\ main folder has OTHER files that were in the previous OS C:\ main folder, like program folders from old games, etc.
- I had trouble installing, which might explain the three windows.old folders.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:46 AM

If I were you I would BOOT to the Windows DVD, format the drive, and install the OS from scratch. You're doing yourself no good by continually trying to install a new Windows version from within the existing OS. Unless there is critical data you need to retrieve, just do a clean install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users