Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

please help...! Unstoppable virus?!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BizzyLizzy

BizzyLizzy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

Hello, everyone at Bleeping Computers! Please help me out!

One of my HP computers, exactly 6 days ago, had contracted a virus called the "openDefender" virus. It was an antivirus malware, and it was an aggressive strain. It closed out of all applications that you tried to open, redirected all Google sites that detailed how to get rid of it away from and to a spam site, stopped all scripts on every page, shut down McAfee and Windows Defender, and wouldn't stop popping up with a request to download its software, which was obviously fake! When McAfee and Windows Defender first alerted me of it, it was listed as a backdoor, and no matter how many times I would tell the computer to remove it, it didn't! Eventually, I did a system restore, and the virus appeared to have been eliminated.

However, 4 days after I recovered my computer, the same Backdoor virus appeared again! This time, there were no OpenDefender notifications, but all the same things happened as before! All my applications were closed, and none were allowed to be opened! However, now when I check Google for results on this virus... there is nothing! only Mac Defender, and that's not what I had! It is almost as if the virus is in Google itself now!

I never went to any malicious sites, so I'm not sure how I got this virus. Even though it didn't say anything about opendefender the second time I contracted this virus, it had all the same symptoms!!! I didn't expect for it to return after a system restore, but unfortunately and without warning, it did. I'm not sure if System Restore didn't work or what but... I tried system restore 5 times on this new attack, and each time, the System Restore said that it was terminated or deleted during the process.

Also... my Netgear USB Micro Adapter was plugged into my computer at the time getting internet from one of my wireless routers, and the virus shut it off! Now it doesn't work anymore on that computer, and I have no way to reach the internet on this computer to download any anti-virus softwares that could get rid of it! Is there any hope for this computer?

I called a tech support guy and he said that the virus sounded aggressive and to unplug the computer and keep it unplugged so that the virus doesn't do any further damage. He even said that chances are my USB drive that has files from that computer from two days ago and my Netgear adaptor were now hosts to the virus!!! But if there is any way that I can eliminate this virus before anything else happens... I would love to know!

Please help me out, Bleeping Computer!!!

Edited by BizzyLizzy, 25 September 2011 - 08:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:16 PM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team.
Please make sure that you read the information about getting started first.
Then start a new thread HERE and include or required logs.
Including a link to this thread will be helpful.

Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users