Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help finding the source of my problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 The Lord Reaper

The Lord Reaper

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:05 PM

Alright, hey guys. I've been having trouble for a few days with my computer, and I'm now more or less stumped. I'm posting in this section, though I'm not certain if Vista is actually at fault.

OK, so a few days ago I booted up as per, only to be met by the black screen bug that I've seen so widely reported across the net. After searching for fixes-and trying them all, I instead went with reinstalling windows completely because none of the 'solutions' solved anything more than remporarily. After doing that, the machine worked a treat. Until I restarted it.

Now I'm struggling to install just about anything. I tried installing bitdefender (which previously had worked fine) only for it to be constantly killed by the data execution prevention, which never happened before (I uninstalled it now). I tried reinstalling my xbox 360 wireless connector, but the usb socket didn't want to work anymore (I switched socket and that did-eventually, install, but only after disabling my mouse which took me another 20 minutes to get working again...) I tried reinstalling steam, which never actually opens. Chrome only opens half the time, and often after a big delay.

I'm also having chronic slowdowns, the windows still seems unstable, crashing repeatedly and just freezing even when idle.

And strangely, the PC won't actually shut down anymore. When asked to close, it does go through the usual process of shutdown, and the monitor stops getting any feed, and then it just stays on doing nothing until I turn it off manually.

I'm aware that these issues could be coincidental, but it all came from the initial problem with the black screen. I had hoped that reinstalling windows would solve it, but it's just created new problems. What I can't tell, though, is what is causing these issues. Does anyone out there have any suggestion for what to do next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:43 AM

Exactly how did you reinstall Windows?

#3 The Lord Reaper

The Lord Reaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:29 AM

Via the Vista installation disk. My computer isn't manufacturer built :)

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:05 AM

EXACTLY how did you reinstall Vista? Did you do it from within the OS? Did you boot to the Vista cd? Did you reformat? Did you delete the existing partition. EXACTLY what did you do?

#5 The Lord Reaper

The Lord Reaper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:27 AM

Oh right, got you.

Reinstalled via the disk on startup. I first tried the startup repair from the Vista disk at startup, but it told me that no problem was found.

Edited by The Lord Reaper, 26 September 2011 - 09:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users