Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen Only

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ultimatetwang

ultimatetwang

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:09 PM

I am having the issue of whenever I turn on the computer, I get only a black screen. No booting, no nothing. When I turn it on, the fans come on and it sounds like it's starting to do something, but never does. Now in the days leading up to this, it had started shutting off or going into a sleep-like mode, randomly, where the screen would go black and the light on the power button would flash. Normally, when this computer goes into sleep mode, you just hit the power button and it comes back up. In these instances, though, the only way you could get it out of this sleep state, was to unplug the computer for a few moments, then turn it on. I have replaced the old power supply, which I do believe was bad, because the fan would not come on. I have also replaced the little battery on the motherboard, as well. And I've checked and rechecked all of my connections, but nothing seems to work, other than the fans. Even the mouse, which is a USB/infrared type, doesn't come on.
Thanks for any info you can pass along.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:27 PM

My first guess would have been the PS, but you said you replaced it. So it can be anything from ram to the mobo to the cpu to a bad hd to pretty much anything else. Simple enough to check ram and the hd though:

To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

To check the hd, boot to the recovery console and run chkdks /r

#3 ultimatetwang

ultimatetwang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

After I posted here, I talked to my brother, who works in computers, and he had me disconnect everything from cd-rom, to hd to ram, etc., then try it. I did that, and still nothing comes up on the screen, just black (also the "no signal" note on the monitor. So I'm thinking, now maybe motherboard?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

As I said, it could be almost anything. I'd start with the two tests I posted above.

#5 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:44 PM

How's he supposed to test when it wont even POST?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:38 AM

It's unclear at what point the "black screen" appears - before or after the POST. But you're right of course, if the system won't get as far as seeing the cd drive there's not much to be done.

#7 ultimatetwang

ultimatetwang
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:40 AM

Turns out the motherboard had indeed died. Replaced motherboard, processor, PSU, and Ram. Fixed the issue, but now I'm being prompted to activate Windows that was on the harddrive that is still the same. When I tried to do that, Microsoft won't recognize the install ID, and when I talked to a tech, they say it's an XP Professional number and I need a product key that we don't have, anywhere, because apparently, the computer had XP Media, originally, and the Windows systems were swapped at some point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users