Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 programs will not open

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 jeanniemc

jeanniemc

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:01 PM

Hi, I'm fairly sure I caused the problem... I was scanning my asus notebook using avast and the report came back that I had three (if I remember correctly) threats. I selected "delete" as opposed to putting them in the "chest". It deleted two and couldn't do anything with the third. The files had the word WOW in them. avast suggested a boot scan and when it was over, windows loaded however whatever program I clicked on I got the message: "there was a problem sending the command to the program". I noticed that the battery indicator was way off - registering different amounts of time left etc.

I was able to open the deleted folder and restored the files that I deleted from the scan program. I can open "user" files, my computer, documents etc. but no programs.

Am I beyond help? Obviously I am writing to you from my desktop not the notebook.

THANK YOU for any help you can give me.

sheltielady

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:05 PM

Hi jeanniemc,

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

My name is Jason and I'll be helping you with your computer problems. You can call me by my screename jntkwx or Jason is fine.

Some things to remember while we are working together.

• Do not run any other tool untill instructed to do so!
  • Please do not attach logs or put logs in code boxes.
  • Tell me about any problems that have occurred during the fix.
  • Tell me of any other symptoms you may be having as these can also help.
  • Do not run anything while running a fix.
  • If you don't understand a step, please ask for clarification before continuing with any future steps.

Click on the Watch Topic button and select Immediate Notification and click on proceed, this will help you to get notified faster when I have replied and make the cleaning process faster.

Note to others: The instructions here are intended for the person who began this topic. If you need help, please create your own topic in the appropriate forum.

:step1: Please download exeHelper to your desktop.
Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix.
A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.
Post the contents of exehelperlog.txt (Will be created in the directory where you ran exeHelper.com, and should open at the end of the scan)

After doing this, please let me know if you can open programs or not.
Regards,
Jason

Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe and secure on the Internet

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

#3 jeanniemc

jeanniemc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:17 PM

Hi Jason! Thank you for trying to help me with my problem. The thing is that I am posting this on my desktop - it is my laptop (notebook actually) that is having the problem. I can't get on the internet because I can't open my browser. Please advise......

#4 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:20 PM

Hi jeanniemc,

On your desktop, please download all programs and save them to a CD or flash drive, and then transfer the CD or flash drive to the infected computer, so you can run them on the infected computer.
Regards,
Jason

If I am helping you and have not returned in 48 hours, please feel free to send me a PM with a link to the topic.
My help is free... however, if you wish to show appreciation and support me personally fighting against malware, please consider a donation: btn_donate_SM.gif

#5 jeanniemc

jeanniemc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:25 PM

Oh golly gee Jason. Really? - ALL my programs - I've got quite a few - I don't even think they would fit on a cd...... do you mean every single program? :(

#6 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:30 PM

No, just exeHelper. Sorry for the confusion.

:step1: Please download exeHelper to your desktop on your clean computer.
Copy it to a CD or flash drive.
Put the CD or flash drive into the infected computer.
Double-click on exeHelper.com to run the fix on the infected computer.
A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.
Post the contents of exehelperlog.txt (Will be created in the directory where you ran exeHelper.com, and should open at the end of the scan)

After doing this, please let me know if you can open programs or not.

Edited by jntkwx, 25 September 2011 - 05:32 PM.

Regards,
Jason

#7 jeanniemc

jeanniemc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:35 PM

Oh thank goodness! Okay I will do that now.....

#8 jeanniemc

jeanniemc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:46 PM

okay - I downloaded the program to my desktop and copied it to a cd - loaded it to the notebook and tried to run it and get this - do you want to allow the following from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer - yes, no and I clicked yes several times and I get nothing.....

#9 jeanniemc

jeanniemc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

... I also clicked no and also tried to exit the pop up and it still won't run anything. . .

#10 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

Try copying exeHelper from the CD to the desktop of the infected computer, and double click on the file from there. Then try to open some programs.
Regards,
Jason

#11 jeanniemc

jeanniemc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:57 PM

I copied it to the desktop and then clicked on the icon and it still comes up with the above pop-up - do you want to allow the following from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer - yes, no ....

#12 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:59 PM

Click Yes.
Regards,
Jason

#13 jeanniemc

jeanniemc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:01 PM

hi - I have clicked yes - over and over and then the pop up disappears and then nothing happens... I tried "no" too and just exiting the pop up and still nothing. . .
:-(

#14 jeanniemc

jeanniemc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:11 PM

Jason - I need to be away from my computer for about a half hour........ will be back on later. Thank you....

#15 jntkwx

jntkwx

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,339 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:12 PM

Hi jeanniemc,

Sounds good. :thumbup2:

Once you're back, let's try rebooting into Safe Mode.
This can be done tapping the F8 key as soon as you start your computer
You will be brought to a menu with several options. Press the down arrow key on your keyboard until Safe Mode with Networking is selected. Press Enter. Please see here for additional details.

While in Safe Mode, try double clicking on exeHelper and click Yes when prompted to run it. A black window should pop up, press any key to close once the fix is completed.
Regards,
Jason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users