Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP can't resolve DNS in normal mode but can in safe mode

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 mnygren

mnygren

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:44 PM

Hello.
I have Win XP with SP3 installed. After installing the latest Verizon VZAccess manager software (For VL600 ver7.6.3) I started having problems using the wireless card and a secondary network connection, either wired to wireless. The VZAccess software would always disconnect. In trying to troubleshoot, I lost the ability to resolve DNS names from Dos in windows normal mode. I could ping the DNS servers and gateway by IP but could not find the host if trying to ping by name. Tried ipconfig /flushdns, tried restarting IP in netsh, nothing. But, I could ping by name and by IP in safe mode. Uninstalling VZ did not change anything.

Along the way, I ran Dr Web combofix, but not sure if it found any real virus'. Your help is appreciated.
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:43 PM

with my limited knowledge, i would uninstall verizon software, system restore to a date before installation,
then try pinging, and if it works, try reinstalling verizon.

#3 sariki

sariki

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:48 PM

Did you check to make sure that, that particular software is supported in XP? if not you might want to talk wtih verizon to see if they have another option. You could always disable and then reenable your network cards and see if that is a issue. try checking too see if there are any fixes that could solve that issue.
Sorry if it's not much help, I am just thinking off the top of my head.

Posting Goal: 25 50 100

#4 mnygren

mnygren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:49 AM

I have another laptop that is running VZaccess and does not have the same problems so I don't think it's the software. A call to verizon pretty much got me no where.

I did also remove and reinstall the network drivers, but still no change. I'm thinking I have some service or driver that is conflicting, but not sure how to go about it. System restore could not restore the system to an earlier date before the software was installed. Now I only have a restore back from the 23rd, so that won't work.

On the note of combofix, I was wondering how to remove it and undo the changes it did if I don't have a virus. Help is appreciated.

Mike

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:54 AM

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help - Look here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic273628.html

Louis

#6 cogs10

cogs10

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:49 PM

read here to stop the 'web client'
service, restart the 'dns client' service, download malwarebytes, scan, restart, and 'web client' will start automatically.
then, see if you can ping hostnames.

#7 mnygren

mnygren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:52 AM

read here to stop the 'web client'
service, restart the 'dns client' service, download malwarebytes, scan, restart, and 'web client' will start automatically.
then, see if you can ping hostnames.

Cogs10-
Tried that, but still can't ping host names in normal boot mode. I will try in safe mode to install and scan with malwarebytes and see what happens
Mike

#8 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,845 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:42 AM

This is likely related to your issues posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic421004.html

To avoid potential confusion, I'm closing this topic. If you are still experiencing these issues once you have been declared clean, send a PM to a moderator to reopen this topic.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users