Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Internet Seems Strange

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 RaSkull

RaSkull

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:31 PM

I have been advised to post about this problem.

When I connect to the internet (56k dialup) it takes 2-3 minutes for my "start page" to load. My start page is Google, if I change it to msn.com it takes even longer. About 60% of the time this happens. About 30% of the time I get "Page Cannot be Displayed" or "Cannot Find Server", if I click "Refresh" the page loads right away....most of the time. The other 10% of the time the page never does load and so I have to disconnect and reconnect to the internet and then it usually seems ok.
Also, since I am now an HJT Trainee, I come to BC to read and learn a bit but I login with my username and the page comes up that says "you are now logged in as RaSkull" but after it redirects me to the main BC page it shows me as not logged in so I have to login again....sometimes I have to login 3 times before it shows me as logged in. I have "always allow" cookies from BC set in my internet options. Yet I still go through this almost everytime I visit BC.
This problem just started happening after I found that I was infected with "LoadWatcher". I used HJT to remove it and my HJT log is clean (per Grinler). But I still have this problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:25 PM

What speeds are you getting when you use your dial-up ("you are connected at XX Kbps?)?You may have to try several times and several different phone numbers before you get a decent speed.
If you are using IE, I would suggest you switch to Firefox, which seems to load pages faster than does IE.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 jp10558

jp10558

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:53 PM

Or Opera which is faster than FireFox.

Anyway, three minutes is pretty slow. I'd check and see what all is using your internet connection. Check your firewall (logs if no realtime display) and see what's making outbound connections.

If you just have windows firewall, get one with outbound control also - I recommend Outpost Pro 3, but ZA is a passable free one.

Also, do the normal spyware checks - AdAware and Spybot at the least, perhaps TrendMicro's housecall?

#4 RaSkull

RaSkull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:54 PM

If I look at the icon on my taskbar it shows me connected at 57.6 kbps, if I open my taskmanager and look at Networking tab while connected it also shows 57.6 kbps, I have called my ISP Tech Support and they say I'm showing connected at 48.8 kbps which they say is very good for a 56k modem. The thing is...that is the way it has been since the last time I reformatted my OS about 6 months ago. And my ISP only has 1 access number for my area.
And everthing was fine until I got infected with "loadWatcher". It has only been acting this way since the infection. Nothing else has changed and even when it is not acting right I still show the same connection speed. I've tried Firefox and do not like it at all, could be just that I'm so used to IE. And I really don't like change unless it is absolutely neccessary. I think my problem can be fixed I'm just not sure how to go about it. Like I said...everything was fine until the infection, so I think it's a problem and not just that IE is not as good as Firefox, and I don't think it is a connection speed thing because nothing to my knowledge has changed in that area. Your input is welcome and appreciated and I will keep what you've said in mind. Thanks for the response.

#5 RaSkull

RaSkull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:03 PM

Or Opera which is faster than FireFox.

Anyway, three minutes is pretty slow. I'd check and see what all is using your internet connection. Check your firewall (logs if no realtime display) and see what's making outbound connections.

If you just have windows firewall, get one with outbound control also - I recommend Outpost Pro 3, but ZA is a passable free one.

Also, do the normal spyware checks - AdAware and Spybot at the least, perhaps TrendMicro's housecall?

Never tried Opera, but still not convinced that switching my Browser will change anything, IE was just fine with me until the infection.
I have ZA free installed and it shows no outbound connections being made....only blocked outbounds.
I use Spybot S&D, Adaware, AVG Free, A-squared anti virus, HJT, SpywareBlaster(recent install), CCleaner and Ewido trial (recent install). None of them shows anything bad. Trend Micro online shows nothing either.
Thanks for your response! I'm stumped.

Edited by RaSkull, 23 January 2006 - 06:04 PM.

#6 ssfire

ssfire

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:57 PM

I've had similar problems. Turned out to be a problem in the phone line between the SBC and me. You might try disconnecting and then checking your phone line for unusual noise, static and such. This can cause a lot of problems on dial-up.

#7 RaSkull

RaSkull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:13 PM

I've had similar problems. Turned out to be a problem in the phone line between the SBC and me. You might try disconnecting and then checking your phone line for unusual noise, static and such. This can cause a lot of problems on dial-up.

Thats something I had not thought of, thanks. My computer has it's own phone line so I never have a phone connected to it, my home phone is a different line. I'll try your idea after I disconnect again. Thanks again.

I would also like somone to help me analyze my Spybot logs. Can anyone help me with that?

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:13 PM

Try the SpeedGuide Web Patches - faster loading of Web Pages. If you don't like the result you can do a restore to reverse the changes.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#9 RaSkull

RaSkull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:19 PM

Try the SpeedGuide Web Patches - faster loading of Web Pages. If you don't like the result you can do a restore to reverse the changes.

Hi Leurgy, I may give that a go once I'm sure I'm clean. I think the problems that I posted in HJT Logs and Analysis forums are the root of the evil in my comp.
A week or so ago I did a Panda Active scan online and it found nothing, but neither did any virus/spyware scanners that I have and use. But HJT found "LoadWatcher" and removed it, like I've said before. And my HJT log was clean after that. Anyway, I just completed another Panda Active scan and it found "Adware:adware/adwhere" in my registry. CCleaner did not find it, nor anything else. Now I need help removing what Panda found. I think I have a deeper problem and may need to reformat if I can't clean this thing up. I may even have a hacker problem. Because things seem to come back even when BC is the ONLY site I've visited in over a week, I have only checked my hotmail and opened emails from BC subscription. And I know these nasties aren't landing on me from that! Thanks very much to all who have tried to help. I think I still need more. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users