Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BD-ROM not working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Becca220283

Becca220283

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:12 PM

My BD-ROM will not burn anything to disk for some reason. It's a new computer (Gateway ZX6961) win7 Home Premium and it says its working properly. It plays CD's and DVD's no problem...Im very frustrated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

What are you trying to burn and exactly how are you trying to burn it?

#3 Becca220283

Becca220283
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:24 PM

the first thing I tried to burn was the backup disk for my comp...I have tried using Nero and just through windows too but it wont work. I have tried burning a CD (music) using nero and windows media player, I have tried to burn a DVD (video) using the same...

I also have windows DVD maker which wont work

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:52 AM

And exactly what happens when you try to burn something? Please provide as many details as possible.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:45 AM

If it really is a BD-Rom it is not a burner.

Best way to tell is post the model of the drive.

BD-ROM would mean BluRay Read Only Memory or BD-ROM

Edited by rotor123, 27 September 2011 - 10:46 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Becca220283

Becca220283
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 04:52 PM

it is HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW CT21N

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:21 PM

It is a laptop drive and from their website it says:
Read and write in DVD and CD formats with the additional feature of accessing and viewing Blu-ray disc.

So you should be able to burn blank DVDs and CDs.

Try Imgburn from http://www.imgburn.com/ just don't install the Uniblue junk or the Ask toolbar. If this won't burn a blank DVD or CD then I'd suspect one of two things. Either you have a bad drive and need to call gateway or incompatible media. I'm pasting what a Blank DVD looks like in Imgburns device tab after choosing write files / folders to disc.

This is what I use for all my burns to CD,DVD & BluRay.

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42N RL00 (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:
State of Last Session: Empty
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 2,295,104
Free Space: 4,700,372,992 bytes
Free Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)
Next Writable Address: 0
Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x, 18x

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: MCC-004-00
Book Type: DVD+R
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm

Edited by rotor123, 27 September 2011 - 05:27 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#8 Becca220283

Becca220283
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

It worked!!! Thank you so much for your help! I had this program on my other computer but didn't think to use it on this one. I'm not sure why the other programs didn't work though. maybe it has something to do with the slim drive thing? because the drive popped open when it was almost done but a message popped up saying that I just needed to close the tray manually and click ok, then it verified and finished! Thanks again for your help, I'm glad it wasn't a faulty drive!

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:13 AM

I believe there is a setting in Imgburn whether or not to eject the tray during verify. if you choose tools at the top and then Settings and then Write there is a setting whether or not to cycle the tray for verify.

Why they did not work is a good question. Maybe they are to old and not compatible with Windows 7?

One other though I only use Verbatim blank media. However you have to buy online as the ones in the stores the Verbatim life series blanks are the same cheap junk as Memorex, store brand etc.

I tried non Verbatim BluRay discs due to cost. They ended up costing more since only a few worked. Same drive and Verbatim and every disc burned OK. Out of spindles of fifty I may have one coaster out of ten to twenty 50 packs.

Good that you are in business now. Have a good week.

Edited by rotor123, 28 September 2011 - 09:18 AM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users