Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard recoginzed in device manager but isnt working?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 psycopuppy

psycopuppy

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

I have a netbook that was dropped and wasnt charging. I took it apart to check to make sure that it wasnt the plug in port thingy. That looks fine (I came to find out that the cable was bad, and now it charges fine) anyway after putting it back together I ound that the keyboard suddenly stopped working. Before I took it apart the keyboard was working just fine. I looked at it in device manager and it says that it is there (and that it is working correctly) so I tried uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it (through device manager) Still the same resultes. If I plug in a usb keyboard it works fine. If I take out the hard drive and put it in a different system it works fine there as well. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 D-C

D-C

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:34 PM

When it comes to puters' I'm a real bonehead, not to be trusted. That said somehow I usually end up successful. So none of the keys work. Did you try booting to Bios? Not to change anything, just to see if pressing the f10 or whatever key works. Then, doesn't plugging in a keyboard disable the notebook keypad? Maybe there is a software commander thingy that's telling it there is a keyboard plugged in.

Also on a thing that was dead anyway I went through the bios and just set everything to the default setting. Didn't know what I was doing and had nothing to loose....it worked!

#3 psycopuppy

psycopuppy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:50 PM

When it comes to puters' I'm a real bonehead, not to be trusted. That said somehow I usually end up successful. So none of the keys work. Did you try booting to Bios? Not to change anything, just to see if pressing the f10 or whatever key works. Then, doesn't plugging in a keyboard disable the notebook keypad? Maybe there is a software commander thingy that's telling it there is a keyboard plugged in.

Also on a thing that was dead anyway I went through the bios and just set everything to the default setting. Didn't know what I was doing and had nothing to loose....it worked!

tried testing the keys when it booted up, no love there. And no it dosent matter if a external keyboard is connected, the origional keyboard should work. (just to be safe I tried booting up with no external keyboard, also no love :( ) I can try setting everything back to default but I doubt it will work. And dont give up with messing around with a system, we were all noobs at one time or another!

#4 D-C

D-C

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:36 PM

Yea, thanks....sometimes I feel like that Darth Vader kid on the VW commercial. What I was getting at is maybe your computer thinks there is a keyboard plugged in. That could be why device manager sees no problem, there isn't one. Your hardware may be fine and it's just the OS being stupid. I got booted out of the OS section, maybe you would have better luck!

I don't know, just that the thing is built with the ability to ignore the keypad.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users