Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AC Adapter Problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CrushNJ

CrushNJ

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:52 PM

I have a problem with my AC Adapter. Around the end where it plugs into my laptop, the wiring frayed and it's ripped open to the internal wires. It works, but I have to position in a way that the wires connect to get a charge. So I buy an off-brand replacement, because the Toshiba replacements are $70 as opposed to about $10 on the off-brands. The new one, however, doesn't work either. I'll plug it in, it'll connect, show on my battery icon saying "Plugged in,Charging" but the battery will continue to decrease. My guess is something's up with the input/output.

Original: Input: 100-240V~1.3A Output: 19V~3.95A 50/60 hz
Replacement: Input: 100-240V~2.5A Output: 19V~3.95A 50/60 hz

The only difference is the Amps in the input, so is that the problem? Any help is very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 psycopuppy

psycopuppy

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:25 PM

so the origional cable dosent have this problem at all? I would return the replacment cable and something else (have you looked on ebay or amazon?)

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:17 AM

Simply put you got a defective or not compatible replacement. You can see why where I work we sell the original makers replacements for AC Adapters.

$70 sounds a little high. For example we sell the 19Volt 3.42Amp real Toshiba at $49, I would expect your to be a little bit higher priced but not $21 more.

I also would stop using that really cheap generic as you may end up damaging the laptop and cost yourself a lot more than you saved.

The cheap Adapter may not be putting out the rated current and voltage. There is a reason it is cheap. Worst case scenario, The seller has adapter bodies and stick a label and plug on to match your needs. I've seen that.

BTW there is no way that the replacement should be pulling that much input current for the same output ratings. And no that isn't the exactly the problem. The problem is it is no good.

I say this since where I work we are a Authorized Toshiba and Lenovo and Okidata service location.

Edited by rotor123, 26 September 2011 - 11:21 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users