Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro Remove, reinstall drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 D-C

D-C

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:51 PM

Hi all. Maybe a simple question.

My old HP dv5000 is telling me the drive is shot but is still working. I'm on it now. I have a refurbished Seagate drive sitting here in the sealed package. I want to install the new drive and get her goen, but if I run into trouble, can I pull it out and have a "reasonable expatiation" that this original will work as now if I put it back?

With a regular desktop I wouldn't hesitate, but this laptop makes me nervous.

Any thoughts? Much thanks, Don

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:03 PM

There's no way anybody can answer that question with any degree of certainty. Sorry. However, you should simply use disc imaging software and create an image of the drive to an external drive if you have one.

#3 D-C

D-C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:10 PM

Ah, OK, so there may be issues then. What I've done so far is to save what I think I want on a flash drive. And thank you Allan.

I have a (2nd) new 8 Gig. flash drive. This machine has just over 30 Gigs of junk somewhere. (that I don't want). Any chance I could use the flash drive to transfer enough of the "image" to the new drive?

Edited by D-C, 25 September 2011 - 03:21 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,632 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:15 PM

You're welcome. And again, sorry - but while it should be the same as it is right now there's simply no way to know for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users