Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Physical memory gap between available n' total?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dnst3

dnst3

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:33 PM

i took a screen shot of the physical memory block in task manager and wondered why there is a large gap between available and total. @ the time of this screen shot nothing was really on except stand windows stuff, nod32, antiviri and game booster 3. which also means some services and processes were cut because that is the nature of game booster 3. there might of been 1 windows folder open too but still? nothing intensive on or chat apps or anything of that sort. i'd also like to note that the memory wasn't listed under any of the programs in task manager. even explorer.exe wasn't taking the 500mb gab or near it. is this normal or this is a problem? i would like to get the most ram available as possible. never seems like enough. since i can't buy it i can try to reclaim what's missing unless this is the norm? if so why is it normal? i just don't know and google searching did not help. thanks for any your advice and help.

Attached File  what is this.JPG   3.17KB   1 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:28 PM

Are you experiencing an problems with the system?

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:47 PM

nothing was really on except stand windows stuff, nod32, antiviri and game booster 3.

Hi -

Are you using 2 Antivirus programs, or was this just a typo ? ? It just looked odd due to the commar between them.
If you have ESET (Nod32) and Anti vir (Avira) this could cause problems -

Just a thought (or a Typo you made) -

Regards -

#4 dnst3

dnst3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 09:05 PM

ooooooh my mistake. yes it's a typo. it's only esets nod32 antivirus. well my problem is i never have enough ram when i play a game that eats away @ it. it's a flash game but i know flash has a memory leak but i still want more when there should be more? or is that missing ram being properly used? if i had more ram the gaming would last longer and wouldn't need me to stop close and restarting the gaming i guess. you see what i mean?

#5 dnst3

dnst3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 12:17 PM

no replies? or did my thread sink into the bottom of the forum sea? ;/

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:54 PM

Simply put...available memory is what is available to Windows at any given moment...this memory is not being used by other parts of the system. While installed memory is just that...the total RAM installed in the system.

The two will never equal, since a small portion of whatever is installed...is used by Windows and onboard video.

This is further complicated by the O/S used. Windows 32-bit can only use 3-3.5 or so of any amount of RAM installed, so that will always be the max reflected for 32-bit Windows.

A 64-bit O/S can use larger amounts of RAM, so that number could increase...but it will never be the total RAM installed.

In other words...those figures reported by Task Manager...are, IMO, meaningless to the average user, since the only number that such users really need to know is how much RAM is installed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users