Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sony Vaio laptop slowing down

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 saika21

saika21

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:35 PM

Hi, I have a sony vaio laptop 'vgn-ns30es' and for the past week it has slowed down considerably. I'm not really sure what the problem could be but it is quite slow on when I'm on the internet or when I'm just using the laptop ie using Word etc. I have noticed some spikes on the CPU usage going to around 85% but can't seem to figure out whats wrong with it. I have scanned it with Mcafee and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware but this hasn't helped. Any help is much appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:37 PM

1) McAfee is pretty useless in my opinion. If it were my system I'd uninstall it and replace it with any other av app.

2) Which process is hogging the cpu when it spikes?

#3 saika21

saika21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:12 PM

im not really sure because there's nothing coming up that's causing the spikes. Its noticeable when i look at under performance when i load up the task manager. I can't seem to figure out what it could be. Is there anyway of improving the speed or getting it return to normal

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:25 PM

Open Task Manager to the Processes tab, sort on the cpu column with highest usage at the top, see which process is spiking.

#5 saika21

saika21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

Hi, it comes up as taskmgr.exe about 2 CPU.

Thanks

Saika

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:41 PM

You said the cpu is spiking at 85%. Please post back with the process using the cpu when it spikes.

#7 saika21

saika21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:16 PM

thats the bit I find strange. I can't seem to find anything that gets that high. Im using google chrome and and it goes to about 38% but that isn't too high. But if I'm just viewing performance it can spike to 85%. The rest of thhe processes do not go over 4%.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

The percentage of cpu usage by the individual processes has to add up to what the cpu usage is. How does the system perform with a clean boot (msconfig - general tab - selective startup [uncheck everything] and reboot)?

Edited by Allan, 25 September 2011 - 02:26 PM.

#9 saika21

saika21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:51 AM

Hi, ive just done that. it is still very slow! the cpu now comes upto 100% and i still cant find whats causing it. any help is much appreciated

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

If the problem persists with a clean boot, your system is probably infected. I suggest you post in the Am I Infected forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users