Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 candt

candt

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:16 PM

Hello,
Ive got a problem with the connection on my computer. First some info on the computer....it is a HP Pavilion ze1115 laptop, 256 MB of RAM, windows xp, 1.1 GHZ AMD Duron processor, and I use Wal Mart connect, which is a dial up service. My problem is with the connection. I hit connect in wal mart connect, and it connects, then it says it is talking to the network, and this is where it usually hangs up, and tells me it was unable to establish a connection. If it does connect, it is a very slow connection. It was usually at 45K, now it is connecting at 38K if it connects at all. I have tried swapping phone cords, uninstalling and re-installing WM connect, ran spyware program, antivirus program, which all turned up clear. I also downloaded the free netzero account, just to see if it was only WM connect that it was doing it with, but it is also like that with the netzero account. Any ideas on what might be wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:22 PM

Have you tried dialing out on a different phone jack, or better, from a different site (eg go to friend's house and try connecting from there)?

You may have a failing modem.
Posted Image

#3 diego88

diego88

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:06 PM

You may also want to try a different connection telephone #. You can usually choose a few different ones.

#4 candt

candt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:39 PM

I have tried different phone numbers and they all do the same slow speed, but I have not tried another location. Next time I am at my parents house, I will try from there. Never thought of that! I will report back with my findings. May be a little while.

#5 Dngrsone

Dngrsone

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:57 PM

No worries. We'll be here.
Posted Image

#6 diego88

diego88

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:58 PM

Have you tried deleting temporary files?

#7 candt

candt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:30 AM

I have not tried deleting temp files, but I do have 59 files in that folder, and it wont let me delete any of them. Usually when I open that folder, there are at most 12-13 files in there. No idea why there are so many in there now. Anybody have a clue? Also, let me clarify something.....when I use wal mart connect, it will tell me it is connected at whatever bps...usually in the 30k range (before this problem it was usually around 45k) and when it gets to the step of "requesting network attention" is when it fails, and tells me that the connection has been lost. This is what makes me believe its not the modem, but something else. It still makes all the normal sounds when dialing up, and will actually connect, but fails at the next step. Anybody have a clue on any of this? Then other times, it will connect, but when it does, its very slow.

Let me add some stuff I found in event viewer that I dont normally see.....

Event ID 7034
The Terminal Services service terminated unexpectadely. It has done this 1 time.

Event ID 7031
The DCOM Server Process Launcher service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time. The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds. Reboot the machine.

Event ID 2504
The server could not bind to the transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_{74DBB97D-FFA5-4330-8F14-586E7CE93E13}

Event ID 20
Printer Driver Amyuni Document Converter 2.50 for Windows NT x86 Version-3 was added or updated. Files: acpdf250.dll, acpdfui250.dll, acfpdf.txt

Event ID 1
\Device\ACPIEC: the embedded controller (EC) hardware didnt respond within the timeout period. This may indicate an error in the EC hardware, or firmware, or possibly a poorly designed BIOS which accesses the EC in an unsafe manner. The EC driver will retry the failed transaction if possible.

Could any of these be my problem?

Edited by candt, 04 February 2006 - 11:48 AM.

#8 candt

candt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:39 PM

Some more info.....after trying a different number, the computer seems to connect everytime now, but it remains very slow. I took a look at where the phone line connects into the computer. In the jack next to the dial up jack, there are several thin pieces of metal that form the connection with the cable. They are all very straight, and they all look to be there. When I take a look at the jack where the phone line for my dial up goes to, there are only 2 thin pieces of metal to form the connection for the cable, and they look kind of mangled. They arent straight, but bent up. Could this be another possibility for my slow connection? Is there any way to fix that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users