Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Run Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:15 PM

I have a Dell Optiplex 170L running Windows XP SP2. Until recently, I've been able to run Windows Update and everything was fine. But now when I visit the Update website, it says:

To install updates from this website, you must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group on your computer. If you use Windows XP, you can see if you are an administrator by going to User Accounts in Control Panel.

I am in the Administrator's group. The only member! Why can't I update?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bar5

bar5

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:05 PM

I found this on Microsoft site. Take a look and see if this is what is happening to you.

Microsoft KB316524

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Barb

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:06 PM

That seems to be the correct article, thanks!

None of the suggested resolutions worked! :thumbsup:
Any other suggestions?

#4 bar5

bar5

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 07:02 PM

That seems to be the correct article, thanks!

None of the suggested resolutions worked! :thumbsup:
Any other suggestions?

Sorry they did not work for you. I have no other ideas.

Hang in there, as someone will come along and maybe have
an answer for you.

Barb :flowers:

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:28 PM

Is your computer networked?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:11 AM

Try the Windows Update fixes in this free program: http://djlizard.net/software/dial-a-fix
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:18 AM

The Windows Update Troubleshooter addresses this issue with a couple of fixes.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 03:57 PM

Well, I ran the Dial-a-fix program. I can now run Windows Update but now it asks me to Validate Windows. When I try to validate, it fails. They suggest that I Activate Windows XP. So I look for the validation program in the start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools folder, not there. So I do some research and am told to type "oobe/msoobe /a" in the run dialogue to run the activation program. Nothing happens! Not even an error message! :thumbsup:

I am being driven slowly insane! I know it's a legal copy of Windows because we (my company) bought it from Dell (:flowers: hey, it wasn't my idea) preinstalled on the system.

Please help me before I slip into the abyss of everlasting Microsoft cockups! :trumpet:

#9 bar5

bar5

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:10 PM

Well, I ran the Dial-a-fix program. I can now run Windows Update but now it asks me to Validate Windows. When I try to validate, it fails. They suggest that I Activate Windows XP. So I look for the validation program in the start->Programs->Accessories->System Tools folder, not there. So I do some research and am told to type "oobe/msoobe /a" in the run dialogue to run the activation program. Nothing happens! Not even an error message! :thumbsup:

I am being driven slowly insane! I know it's a legal copy of Windows because we (my company) bought it from Dell (:flowers: hey, it wasn't my idea) preinstalled on the system.

Please help me before I slip into the abyss of everlasting Microsoft cockups! :trumpet:

Andrew:

See if anything in this bulletin can help you.

WinXP OEM Activate

Barb

#10 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:17 PM

I will add this:
I've countered the insanity issue with this simple "axiom".

For every administrator of computers there is likely an Uber-administrator rapidly updating things.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#11 OldTimer

OldTimer

Malware Expert

• Members
  • 11,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 31 January 2006 - 05:45 PM

If this computeris part of a company network you might want to ask your network administrator about this issue. Many companies do not allow users to update individual computers before each update can be tested by the company to verify that the updates will not breaksomething else. Being a part of the Administrators group on the local machine does not necessarily mean that the user has administrative rights on the network and updating could be blocked at the network level.

OT
I do not respond to PM's requesting help. That's what the forums are here for. Please use them so that others may benefit from your questions and the responses you receive.
OldTimer

Posted Image

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:34 PM

Alas, yet another dead end, bar5

OldTimer, this computer is on a workgroup overwhich I excercise ultimate authority.

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:15 PM

Talk to Dell?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#14 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:45 PM

:thumbsup: I've been meaning to, haven't had time (I usually work on these computers in 5 minute windows)

#15 GdB2

GdB2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:09 PM

I had the same problem. The KB article pointed out led me to the problem. Unhide C:\windows or check permissions on it and subfolders.

It sounds like you also installed the dreaded WGA KB. Don't ever install it because it's only purpose is to harass users.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users