Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver Problem . Looking for free program to check

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:01 AM

OK, so I got an old computer working that had been creamed by a virus. (Thanks to help at bleepingcomputer.com) ... It's running, but likes to show me a blue screen now and then. I am starting to suspect that it might have something to do with speeding up the computer - but that's not my first choice. I did that in the power saving options. Acer lets you set speed high or low to save energy. Before I thought that, I decided to upgrade the BIOS and a bunch of drivers. Went to the Acer site and downloaded stuff for this computer and installed. Now I can't connect to my wireless router anymore. Microsoft can't fix the problem. So, now I'd like to run a good free software tool to check all my drivers and see if they're corrupted or out of date. Is there such a thing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:19 AM

There is no such thing as an out of date driver, and you should NEVER use third party utilities to check drivers.

If your system recently had a major virus problem and it is now not working properly I strongly recommend a format and reinstallation of the OS.

#3 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:34 AM

There is no such thing as an out of date driver, and you should NEVER use third party utilities to check drivers.

If your system recently had a major virus problem and it is now not working properly I strongly recommend a format and reinstallation of the OS.

I suppose that would be the best thing. But computers don't ship with Windows on CD or DVD. I don't have a backup. This is a laptop that the owner gave up on after the virus hit. I'd like to turn it into a dedicated (light-weight, low traffic) server. If I fail with Windows, I'll install Linux like I did with my own old laptop after its Windows crash.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:58 AM

You can always purchase a copy of Vista.

Meanwhile, please open device manager. Any yellow or red symbols?

#5 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:07 AM

You can always purchase a copy of Vista.

Meanwhile, please open device manager. Any yellow or red symbols?

Had one yesterday, but got that solved by uninstalling the driver and getting a new one through Microsoft update. This morning I tried to install a new version of SP2. That exercise failed. I couldn't because SP2 was already installed. So I tried to uninstall it. After a couple of hours in which the uninstall seemed to be underway, it failed and then I got a message that it couldn't be restored. I tried reinstalling again, but got a message that I couldn't because it's already installed.

I'm now downloading Microsoft Windows Debugging Tools in order to follow this page of instructions.

#6 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:56 AM

Through the tool above, I think I have the problem isolated to ntkrnlpa.exe ...

Googled and googled and so far I get the impression that I'm not the first person to see this problem. The only solution given is to reinstall the driver. Unfortunately, no link was given and I'm hitting dead ends trying to find where I can get it or even what the name of the driver is (other than ntkrnlpa.exe ). Maybe it's available at the Acer website, but maybe not. I have found out that it is a component of the Microsoft Windows operating system. A mysterious component apparently. The only other info I've found says it can slow down system performance and that it would be very very bad to remove it.

On the other hand, I note that my newer HP laptop doesn't have it.

Edited by Roger F. Gay, 26 September 2011 - 07:01 AM.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:03 AM

Well, you can try sfc /scannow (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833)

#8 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:27 AM

Well, you can try sfc /scannow (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833)

sfc /scannow got to 62% complete and then quit, saying it couldn't finish.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:36 AM

Yeah. Sorry, but as I said early on it's my opinion that your best bet if you want to use that system is to purchase a retail copy of Vista and format and install from scratch.

#10 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:57 AM

Yeah. Sorry, but as I said early on it's my opinion that your best bet if you want to use that system is to purchase a retail copy of Vista and format and install from scratch.

Noted. I'm not doing that for a couple of reasons. 1st, it would probably cost more than the computer is worth. 2nd, I don't want to enrich Microsoft for setting us up to re-buy products that we already bought. Windows Vista came with the computer - bought and paid for.

I'm hoping someone can help me find and install a new ntkrnlpa.exe .... or deal with it in one way or another.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:05 AM

Okay. Sorry I can't be of more assistance. Good luck - hope someone else can get you up and running.

#12 Roger F. Gay

Roger F. Gay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for trying.

I think I've just encountered the last straw. I'm now taken to a login screen with a choice of "Other User". Can't log in. Can't get in. I'm locked out.

Looks like Linux time to me. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users