Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB ports will not work

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jimvt

jimvt

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:45 AM

I'm using an EMachine T4697 that is a bit old but works well in every case except for the USB ports.

I've tried all the solutions suggested here and elsewhere and they just won't cooperate.

All the ports show NO mAs used and all "working properly".

Sometime ago when I plugged in a FOX Pro joystick I think I remember a message saying "power exceeded" or something similar.

Can I buy an external power device of some kind and get the internal USBs to work?

If so, what type of unit would anyone suggest.

Any help appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 01:33 PM

<<Can I buy an external power device of some kind and get the internal USBs to work?>>

If your USB ports are not working...you may be able to install a USB controller card, if your system has an empty PCI slot...and your motherboard has no damage.

Since the Gateway support site doesn't list the specs for your system...I can't say for sure whether your system has an empty PCI slot.

You can open the case and take a look.

If so...then you can simply install a USB controller card, such as those depicted Here..

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users