Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to recover after avast removed some files - help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hitorikiri

Hitorikiri

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:03 AM

Last night avast found a couple of suspicious files and so I moved them to the chest and restarted. This morning I find that most of my programs will not open, including avast, and even some Windows utilities, so I can only assume those files were likely false positives and necessary for Windows 7 to function properly. Unfortunately, trying to do a System Restore resulted in the 0x80070005 error. Windows is already recognizing avast as being turned off and I can't even open the Create new user account to try and bypass the error with another account with administrative privileges. In other words, UGH!

Can anyone please offer some suggestions to try and get my computer working properly again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:36 AM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team.
Please make sure that you read the information about getting started first.
Then start a new thread HERE and include or required logs.
Including a link to this thread will be helpful.

Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 Hitorikiri

Hitorikiri
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:01 PM

Just wanted to post an update. I was able to get System Restore to successfully complete by starting it from the Repair option after pressing F8 upon restart. Everything is working again. I don't think this was a malware issue, but rather something caused by the AV software making certain files unavailable, however I will be doing some thorough scans just to be sure.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:06 PM

Very well then :)

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users