Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power surge

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tpm

tpm

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:14 PM

Hello
My friends Gateway desktop running WinXp went dead after a power surge. Well it wouldn't boot. I used the recovery disc that came with the computer and did a wipe and fresh re install. All was doing great, I downloaded 70 plus Window updates and had to restart it. When it restarted I couldn't get it to boot again. Sometimes it got as far as the Windows screen but mostly it was just restarting over and over. I did see a notification pop up at the bottom of the task bar that stated something about memory being lost and then that is when I couldn't get it to boot up any longer. If I use the recovery mode again I'm sure I'll get it to work for a short period but there must be a problem hardware wise right??
I am guessing the mother board but do not know how to check it. The computer has 2 sticks of memory totally 1 gig
Any ideas?? Thank you in advance

Edited by hamluis, 25 September 2011 - 07:18 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:31 AM

Hello Tom and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I read your description above and noticed you said the computer wouldn't boot.

Yet you state that it booted from an installation disk.

When a computer suffers from a power surge, specially newer models, there are protection devices built into most power supplies.

Those protection devices reset themselves when the power is removed via the AC power cable.

Those are surge protectors doing their job.
Even cheap power supplies have them.

Since your computer is a desktop computer, it is likely your BIOS got a bit confused during the power disruption.

How do you resolve this issue? Commonly it can be corrected by entering your BIOS setup utility and try setting it for system defaults, believe me that option is in there somewhere, expand the sub menus till you find it.

If this does not correct the issue, try removing your CMOS battery, and move the jumper on the motherboard over to CLR_CMOS for roughly 60 seconds, move the jumper back over and return the battery back to its holder.

Boot up the computer and access the BIOS before windows loads, it may be F2 or Delete.

Correct the time and date and choose system defaults, or best configuration -> (older systems)

Save the changes to CMOS and exit.

Post back the results.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 tpm

tpm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:53 AM

Hello Mr Bruce

I will try this a let you know if I get anywhere

Thanks
Tom