Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop moniter stays on in BIOS but when loading windows turns off

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 comjewell

comjewell

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:32 PM

ARRGG ok. so i am trying to do something nice for 2 people in need of laptops. A friend of mine has a grandson who accidentally knocked over her glass of wine into her laptop and fired it (wine got into a ribbon connecter) but the RAM and HD were fine. I happened to have a laptop that has been sitting for a while because i took it to sell it to a computer shop here and they stole the HD and Ram outta it... her stuff fit into mine! SCORE! Right? well i thought so... I had to reformat the HD as it was out of a Sony VAIO and i was putting it into an Everex... it went well... until it came time to load drivers... i couldn't get it to connect to the net so i was trying to find drivers and put them on my flash drive and transfer them over... finding drivers for an Everex va4103M is a pain! i asked in the Vista forum for help and a moderator there gave me a google page of websites to go to... i had already tried that but ... anyway i explained (or tried to) that most of the sights were just link downloads that you run (if you have net on your computer) and it installs a program like Driver Detective and that i hadn't found one yet that was an ACTUAL driver. Alas i continued my search and found DOWNLOADABLE DRIVERS WOO HOO Right? well i installed them and.... now i can get the computer on and go into BIOS and it will stay on as long as i want it to... but as soon as i try to load windows the monitor turns OFF... it doesn't just go black it turns OFF.. I tried to reformat since i couldn't get into the drivers. I got it to format and then it turned the monitor off... i tried to reload it and every time i try it says "loading windows files" at the bottom of the screen and then ... turns off the monitor ARRRGGGG...

HELP ME PLEEAASSEEE!!! :crazy:
If you cant fix it... Kick it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:48 PM

You may have to take the machine to a professional to test the monitor. Sometime they just go; I've experienced this. :smash: You could do it yourself, but there are documents and tools that would have to be collected.

Is the machine well ventilated? Is the power supply working properly? Can the machine be opened up to check that all hardware is seated properly.
If you are trying to install a different OS, the OS itself may require more from the graphics department than is available; causing like issues as you describe among others indescribable. :tvhorror:

What do you mean by;
"I tried to reformat since i couldn't get into the drivers. I got it to format and then it turned the monitor off...."

Was this just an overwrite? Most installed drivers will remain with an overwitten/quick formatting. I use this method to upgrade machines sometimes (fiddlin') when a custom/clean install just wont work. For whatever cryptic reason(s).

Did you test the RAM for its stability? Try booting the machine from a live CD/DVD of something like a Linux distro to help with dianostics. If you do not get the bootble media to show a desktop, I would definately suspect hardware.

#3 comjewell

comjewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 01:48 AM

if it was the monitor would it still stay booted and working in BIOS? yes it ventilated and even on a chill mat with 2 fans. Yes the power supply was working just fine. ya its not under warranty and i had it open while doing everything to it i had it pieced back together but no screws in... it ran fine for 4 days that way. both computers were running vista home premium so that shouldnt be an issue.

ok so i stuck the disk in and it booted windows it got to the part where you choose a partition to put it on and i told it to format the 1 partition that was there (knowing it would wipe everything and be fresh install)

the ram is fine i just put it in another computer and its booted and running smooth.

hmm would ubunto work perhaps?

#4 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:32 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I have found a lot of information for your laptop computer, sometimes you need to try different approaches to come up with the correct support web site.

Here is the primary web site URL http://www.everex.com.tw/us/

Now I selected your model number and IE asked me if I wanted to allow a pop up from the web site, so I selected yes just this once, it then sent me to this page below and if this page below loads for you successfully, you'll see a list of green download buttons, those are the downloads for your computer.

http://www.fic.com.tw/everex//us/support/va410xm/va410xm.php

I want to put your mind at ease here, I am a BC staff member and I am one because I make sure anything I ask another member to do to their computer that might be risky, I subject my own computer to the test as to whether the files or web site is safe. By doing that I download the files myself first and scan them throughly before I ask anyone else to try them.

This link is for your owners manual in PDF format.

http://www.fic.com.tw/everex//us/support/va4300m/va4300m_downloads/everex_stepnote_va_series_user_manual.pdf

The Driver Downloads is for (Microsoft Windows XP/Vista 32 bit version only) they are on this link here and there is a list for several drivers.

http://www.fic.com.tw/everex//us/support/va410xm/va410xm.php This is the same link at the top, but I want to point it out to you again, there is a list of drivers for both XP and Vista.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask me, I have 38 years electronics repair experience and can help you with further questions.

Please let me know if those links above loaded for you on the pages I want you to have access to, if there is a notice about a pop up from this site, allow it to happen once, it is not of a malicious nature.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 25 September 2011 - 02:52 AM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#5 comjewell

comjewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 02:44 AM

haha well thats good to know that is the site i got the drivers from that apparently crashed me... i have to get the dang thing to stay on long enough to load windows again before i can attempt drivers again... i only loaded the Wireless LAN (5.5MB): RealTek Network drivers,Modem (22.7MB): VIA Chipset Drivers,and LAN (5.5MB): RealTek Network drivers

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:02 AM

Okay thanks for letting me know that that is where you obtained the drivers from, that is the official web site for your drivers.

When you stated that you can enter the BIOS setup utility, and the computer runs Okay, have to looked for an option in the BIOS menus called "LOAD SETUP DEFAULTS" every BIOS I have seen has this option, sometimes it is right out in the open and sometimes it is hidden in a sub-menu, have you tried that option?

Also are you sure that everything inside the laptop is as it should be?

Is the processor heat sink level on the processor?

Is the RAM making full contact with its mating surfaces?

It is common to over look the obvious when dealing with a complex piece of electronics such as a laptop computer.

Please recheck all connections, make sure those flat ribbon wires are making a secure connection to the ZIF connectors.

I can try to locate a service manual for you that is available for public download if you wish me to look for you.

Bruce.

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#7 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:12 AM

I am adding one more question here, have you tried connecting a regular external VGA monitor to the laptops VGA port to see if the video on the external monitor stays on?

If you haven't tried that yet, it is worth a try, this will tell you if your laptops internal video screen or its associated internal connections is the culprit or not.

Bruce.

#8 comjewell

comjewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:28 AM

well crap... i got pissed at it earlier and took it off the chill mat and turned it off stuck it on a shelf to get it off my desk ... i just went and got it... opened it made sure everything looked secure which it does... powered it on and now all the lock lights are on the power light and the HDD bu its not blinking. it solid.. i dont have a display its off and its not posting now either... i believe my windows CD is stuck in the disk drive as well...

#9 comjewell

comjewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:31 AM

got my disk out... its still doing the same thing... lights are on no one is home... this laptop has been nothing but bad luck lol

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:21 AM

I can understand your frustration.

I have had moments where a hammer seemed to be the best solution to solve every problem, but then I realize if it ever was repairable, it certainly wouldn't be once the hammer made an impressive impact.

But the key is not to let it get the better of you, when it frustrates you, put it down and walk away from it.

Now it appears that is what you have done with it so far, only to try again and get frustrated all over again.

Here is how I managed to survive in this field without actually getting that hammer and smashing the living heck of something that defies my determination to get it to work again.

You have to think of this whole task as if it was a role playing game or a shoot 'em up video game, the villain is the culprit, the culprit is what is causing your device not to work, if you think of the trouble shooting scenario as a quest in a role playing game, it can become less frustrating to deal with.

Now I am not going to say that some electronic devices are not worth going through the trouble of fixing, because some can be damaged enough to where too many major components on the circuit board need to be replaced and it's just not worth the hassle.

When you stated that the laptop sustained damage from spilled wine getting into the keyboard area, what gave you the final conclusion the laptop was fried?

Was the laptop on when this incident occurred?

There is a way to clean such substances out of a laptop, I suggest using a quick drying cleaning solution such as using a house-hold alcohol such as isopropyl alcohol 70%, just make sure the battery on the motherboard is removed from the system and that the power battery is removed as well. The alcohol will flow across the areas with the wine residue and remove it, the alcohol its self will evaporate quite quickly and leave no traces of residue.

It is one of the most effective cleaning agents for spills like this, unlike water and soap, which causes oxidation and some soap residue to remain causing more damage.

I recommend trying an external monitor and see if the problem persists on an external screen. :thumbup2:

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 25 September 2011 - 04:23 AM.

#11 comjewell

comjewell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 04:38 AM

ya that was in her computer... it was a sony vaio and ya it was on and plugged in when it happened... someone told her to dump alcohol in it and i think when she did she got it a bit to good... her keyboard would of held the wind off the motherboard but alas i found the main ribbon in it had corrosion or fry marks on the contacts... i took it out and tried to get it off... i used alcohol and a soft rag... then i got a soft bristled tooth brush after the ribbon contacts trying to get it off but to no avail... it an older computer and i thought she was good and just needed a power button as that was the only thing i originally found damage to and was easily replaceable but after replacing it and finding the corrosion on the contacts im not so sure... i cant find the ribbon i need... i looked on ebay and found a whole "not working" computer but the risk that something similar happened to it plus the 150 and 25 to ship was a bit far out of our budget i can send pics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users