Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boilermaker27

boilermaker27

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

my computer crashed but luckily I had an external Lacie hard drive. I bought a new ASUS computer, this is an all in one computer, it uses Windows 7 and has no expansion slots. So, my Lacie is firewire and my computer is USB. I can't get the information from the Lacie into my computer because my new computer does not have firewire. I found cards which will do that but they are for a tower and mine is all in one. Surely there is a way to do this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:20 PM

I am not familiar with doing what you need to do ... but I expect that something like this would be what you require:

IOGEAR GUH420 USB 2.0 / FireWire Combo Hub
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817111714&cm_re=firewire_usb_hub-_-17-111-714-_-Product
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 boilermaker27

boilermaker27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:52 PM

thanks for the reply. Solved the problem at a computer store. They said, open the Lacie up remove the hard drive, come in to their store and buy a new box set up for USB. Box cost about fifteen dollars. Removed hard drive and placed in new box, hooked up wires and now it works on my USB. So simple to do, yet it was a real chore to find the answer. Only found the answer because one of my searches listed some addresses and one was local and it turned out to be a big chain and a real big crowded store with everything you need to build your own or repair your own computer.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:56 PM

open the Lacie up remove the hard drive, come in to their store and buy a new box set up for USB.

Yes, that was probably a better solution for you! That gets rid of the firewire connection altogether. Pleased to know it was easily done.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users