Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

downloads show as empty

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 terryco

terryco

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:25 AM

I'm hoping someone can help with a problem my Brother is having with his Laptop. He moved to Turkey a while back and he took one from the Uk that as problems too expensive to fix so he bought one in Turkey. The one he has is a 32 bit with Windows 7 and Mcafee Antivirus. There are some free aplications such as a cd/dvd cover software that he installed on his old laptop with Vista that worked ok. On the newer one they seem to install but theres no Desktop icon that he requests and in All Programs the folder is there but shows as empty. In uninstall or change the files are there. I thought it may be User Account control so i suggested he disables it and try to download again but its still the same. He also tried to install trials of other things with the same result. I installed the applications he wants on my Vista with no problems so i immagine the problem is with Windows 7 security somehow. If anyone can help me to help him i would be most thankfull

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:12 AM

If anyone can help me to help him i would be most thankfull

Hi terryco -

First is there any reason as to why your brother can not (will not) post here, as 3rd party fixing can cause problems.

Next, the post is just a bit confusing -(Bought computer went to Turkey. Bought another computer. Vista programs)-

he bought one in Turkey. The one he has is a 32 bit with Windows 7 and Mcafee Antivirus - theres no Desktop icon - in All Programs the folder is there but shows as empty.-
In uninstall or change the files are there
. -
(I assume you mean Programs and Features ?)- He also tried to install trials of other things with the same result.

Note
- A computer set up in Turkey, and set to Turkish defaults, will differ from one set up in USA, or in most other areas.
The computer may need reinstalling to the default of the country in which it will be operating -
This includes basics like, keyboard, time and date, and many other options.

Please post back with a few specific details only and include Make and Full Model -

Regards -

#3 terryco

terryco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:58 AM

The reason he will not register with a PC forum is that he is not computer minded and in the past he has received information that is explained in a technical way that he then emails me as to explain to him. He tells me he has a Toshiba satellite A350-212. The Keyboard as not been changed it's still a Turkish set up. He noticed that if he clicks the ALT key with a different key he gets different functions, I.E with the 2 key he gets sign and with the 5 key he gets . Yes When He presses Programs and Features The program that he installs is there for uninstalling but in All Programs the folder states empty. I know in Turkey there are some sites that are banned. he tells me Youtube and at time Google maps are blocked. Could this be anything to do with the problem?

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 03:22 AM

Hi again -

Yes , if he is trying to download US or UK type programs this can cause some problems with compatability.
As I listed above, things like the keyboard and location settings can alter the way programs load.

You have also got it right that sites are blocked in certain areas, just like China have let some sites in recently.
Other countries also block Full downloads on their local internet systems.

At this time that is my only view on why the programs fail, yet others seemOK

Hope this assisted with a few ideas on his problems -

Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users