Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

light alternative to Windows

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Andre78687687

Andre78687687

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:48 AM

Hello,
I have a Sony vaio PCG-7121M.

My GPU NVIDEA GeForce 8400 M must have a problem because I cannot access my account even after a complete formatting .

- I can only work on windows safe mode.
- when I turn on the notebook, after a few instants,it shows me the logo of Vaio or Windows but I also get vertical, colored bars on the background. After that I cannot reach the window which shows the Windows accounts and the screen becomes black.

[/color]This is why, considering that I can work on windows safe mode, I was wondering if there was some alternative operating system within the linux/Unix families which would allow me to use my laptop.
Do you have any suggestions apart from asking me to fix the GPU which is quite impossible ?
Thank you very much in advance
Andrew

Edited by Andre78687687, 24 September 2011 - 05:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 24 September 2011 - 08:56 AM

Could be a driver issue. "Safe mode" will use the lowest common denominator, which will be low-res VGA without the nvidia driver. If it's a hardware problem, linux won't fix it. What you might be able to do is live with a lower resolution without the nvidia driver. That would apply in both linux and Windows. Of the two, linux could probably do a better job of rendering without the nvidia driver. In either case, I wouldn't expect to be able to play any games or get good video playback without the right driver.

Windows will gripe about non-optimized resolution without the driver. Linux will try to install it without intervention. So you may have to force it to use a non-nvidia driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users