Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

terraria, comcast, and upload caps

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:35 AM

now, I know I'm not shelling out for the top-grade service, can't really afford to, but sheesh. being d/ced semi-randomly while hosting terraria for myself and 1~2 other people is really irritating.

so. since it's not like I can alter the program, lacking the capability and whatnot, I find myself wondering if there's anything anyone can suggest so I can forcibly cap it's uploading of data? comcast tends to d/c me when my upload hits maybe... 130kbps? if that. 100 up is safe, I recall. even if the performance degraded, it'd be nice to be able to not get periods wherein they disconnect me five times in as many minutes, in between periods of not being pestered at all.

I'd have one of the other two people host, but they don't have admin access to their routers.

so, for the "too long, didn't read" crowd:

is there anything I can use to cap my uploads so comcast will let me host terraria in peace?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sariki

sariki

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 25 September 2011 - 05:38 PM

Comcast is trying too keep that so they can charge more money for less service. you may not beable too do what you are asking. you could always try changing the cap in your router settings but i'm pretty sure that comcast won't let you. you could also try calling them and asking it never hurts to do so.

Posting Goal: 25 50 100

#3 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

well, my router and modem are my own property, so comcrap doesn't have any say in what I do with their settings. I don't seem to recall the router having any mention of a cap, but I suppose my DI-604 may still have some things I wasn't aware of in it.

#4 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

Here's something to consider: perhaps Comcast is not intentionally disconnecting you due to trying to use more than 130KBps upstream, but instead your network is getting timed out or something because of the amount of simultaneous connections?

When an ISP caps your speed at something like 1.5Mps, while offering you more expensive plans that allow 3.0Mps and 5.0Mps, these caps are hard limits that can't be circumvented. But dear lord if some one knows a way of circumventing these caps, I'll be your best friend LOL.

But if what you're talking about is you believe they are forcing disconnects as a type of throttling, I don't think they are actually doing that (though I could be wrong). I believe your hitting your maximum upload speed and there are too many connections trying to get through at one time, and this is causing the entire set of connections to shut down for a moment.

Something else I just thought of that could be a contributing factor is how many ports or connections simultaneously allowed by any given flavor of windows. Might want to check on that. Here is an article on it, but you can do more googling if you wish http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314882

But as another poster suggested, you may also want to contact Comcast about this issue to get conformation on whether or not they are forcing disconnects for excessive uploads, ask them if there is some way to get them to stop.
if not, the only thing I can think of is shell out more money for a faster service, ask them how much to upgrade to a faster service, or ask if there is anyway they can alter your upload/download limit by reducing x amount of download bandwidth and giving the remaining to the upload stream so that upload and download have equal maximum potential without you actually using more maximum bandwidth. I doubt they'll do this because it is easier for them technologically/economically to give customers higher download than upload. A long boring explanation of why it's harder on an ISP to give high upload than download is explained in this wiki article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetric_digital_subscriber_line

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users