Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Acquirng Ip Address For Wireless Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 blackcat

blackcat

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:04 AM

HI,
Hopefully you can help me out with this i'm starting to get a real headache.

I have a cable internet connection running through a motorola surfboard modem which connects to a wireless-G linksys router.
I have 2 laptops running of this both Windows XP with service packs upto date.
1 laptop with internal modem has no problems at all.
My laptop with a belkin wireless network card is having all the problems which started out of the blue. I had been able to use my laptop wirelessly until yesterday. Now every time i try and connect while the signal strength is excellent, the computer is unable to acquire an IP address and therefore doesn't connect.
However, when i directly connect through a ethernet cable there is no issue.

I have tried refreshing the ip address, manually setting it on the same address as the other laptop, turning the modem/router off for a few minutes but none of this works. I have run ad aware/spybot search and destroy/AVG antivirus and nothing comes up.

1 thing though is through command prompt when i type ipconfig- for the wireless connection there is no connection specific DNS suffix or default gateway and the IP address and subnet mask are different-is this the issue and how can i fix it?

Hopefully ive given you enough info to help me figure this out.

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:45 AM

Could you have originally connected to another network unknowingly? Now for some reason that network connection is down. I would recommend uninstalling the hardware and software and setting it up again. You should not have had a different IP/subnet mask.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 blackcat

blackcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:21 AM

Hey Acklan,
thanks for the advice but tried reinstalling all software adn hardware, but still have the same problem acquiring network address.
I doubt I would have connected to another network, my network is the only available option and thats the same name as the other computer that is working still.
I think originally i would have had the correct IP and subnet mask but somehow that may have got changed????

Black cat

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:26 AM

Sorry just covering all the bases. Have you re-run the ICS? For some reason I have seen it take a couple of ties running it to establish a connection.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:53 AM

if i may make a suggestion.
your profile in your belkin 802.11g w/s card is not accurate for some reason. sometimes, i uninstall the belkin softweare re-install the driver only and use the windows utility to connect.
works for me on some weird w/s connection issues. you will find it use ful as well no-doubt, make sure you have all the windows updates please. especially the net pack
Google...Google.....browse..read

#6 blackcat

blackcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:40 PM

Thanks alot Snapper and Acklan,
Re-installed the driver only and used the windows utility to connect and all seems well now. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help, makes my life so much easier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users