Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where Did My Ram Go?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 02:43 AM

Basicly the description is my problem it happened a few days ago any ideas??

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nick_R_23

Nick_R_23

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:10 AM

Blackspyder -- Did you recently switch from a video card to onboard video? What changes have you made to your computer recently? What are the specs of the computer? We need info to work with.

Good luck, -Nick

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:14 AM

Would you care to elucidate. What kind of computer/motherboard, do you have onboard video, are you using onboard video, where are you reading the RAM amount.

If you have onboard video, it will use your RAM, and if you are reading from the system properties, it will show the total minus memory dedicated to onboard video, but if you use system Information, it will show total installed RAM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:16 AM

Nick_R_23...you were quicker on the draw, but the same idea.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 23 January 2006 - 05:30 AM

Do you need more RAM than higher settings on your video controller? If so you should be able to reduce the amount of RAM dedicated to your VIdeo controller inside you BIOS. You may be able to drop to 64mb or 32mb of shared video/RAM. This would be reflected in a high available system RAM.

Option two is add more System RAM.

Option three would be to install an after market video card. You may still not be able to recover all of you shared RAM though. You may lower it to the minimun but still reserve some RAM.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:36 AM

The basics
System: eMachines T6003
MoBo: Accually unknown but its got onboard video (ATI Radeon Xpress 200)
Processor: AMD Athlon64 3000+
RAM: 512 DDR
Recent Changes: Added 2 Fans, 1 Exhaust and one Intake moved former Exhaust to HDD's to solve a temperature issue there, Also recently started trying a RAM Freeing program called Free RAM Pro
Where I'm reading it from: The BIOS/CMOS, Windows System Info (use to say 512), and my RAM freeing program.
Other Info: Did the math myself 384(messed up the # on last post)+128(video cache)=512 but still XP used to say 512

Posted Image

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 04:13 PM

384 isn't a whole lot for XP - especially if you play games or watch videos.

Windows XP does an excellent job of managing your memory - unless programs get out of control. And the solution then is to shut the out of control program down - thereby freeing the memory.

A memory manager first has to load itself into memory in order to work - then it's gotta take up some more memory when it moves stuff around. I don't like them, and haven't used one since Win98 had it's memory leak problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:20 AM

Your computer came from the manufacturer with 512MB of RAM, which should be more than enough to run XP without any problems, the 128MB cache is not part of the system RAM. You have a ATi Radeon XPRESS 200 vieo card, so any shortage isn't coming from onboard video.

One thing you could do which would tell you just what you have is to download Everest Home Edition, it's freeware, and will tell you every thing you can think of regarding your computer.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

Your specs can be seen here.

http://www.bizrate.com/marketplace/product...-323793841.html

#9 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:14 AM

yeah I finally found out I had an MSI MoBo. D/l'ed Everest Ultimate Trial (man this program kicks some serious ar$e and it shows 512 and the system specs are fine so I guess its fixed recon it had something to do w/ the work I was doing with it (running Win 95, copying files from, Deleating said files, wiping, and then finally formatting old HDD's for the g/f, old court docs and old company stuff that their IT guys left on it)(it is a pirate computer)

Posted Image

#10 ComputerMan23

ComputerMan23

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:20 PM

does your video card have to use your system ram?

#11 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:48 PM

no video card here just onboard graphics (msi ms7093 motherboard/ATI radeon 200 xpress)

Posted Image

#12 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:02 PM

The afore mentioned program: Does it also scan for bad ram? This problem seems to be possible in quite A few posts recently.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:14 PM

Here are two memory tests..

Memtest86 "A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic"
MicroSoft's Memory Test
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#14 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:16 PM

Keep in mind that memory tests require A boot disk. You will need A blank 3 1/2" floppy, CD, etc....

Edited by WlkingMan, 03 February 2006 - 08:17 PM.

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#15 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:57 PM

Nope. Its good that was the first thing I checked (ran MemTest86). Dont know and truth be told Im not that worried about it right now. PCAngel caused me alot of trouble on tuesday when I tried to install Fedora Core 3 on HDD 2 and made me do a compleate System Restore (I had 250+ CD's on my computer) and I lost everthing on my computer (no backups dumb, dumb, dumb).
So I'm not worried about it Everest found 512 mb of RAM it's just windows just wont recognize it but its there and its being used (I've had my ram compleately filled up before running F@H, Limewire, and Kazaa all at once)(none of which I have anymore)

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users