Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Product code

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 john11139

john11139

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:01 PM

I purchased a used computer and was given what appears to be a genuine microsoft windows 7 disc. They did not give me the package it came in with the registration code. Windows loaded fine and works fine but says I have 15 days to registra. I am getting different answers from different people and the more people I ask (including the computer shop) the more confused I get. Most are saying that I will have to repurchase a new windows 7 with validation code. Some say I can contact Microsoft and at a smaller fee, get the validation code. One person told me that the validation code is located, deep inside the disc and told me how to retrive it. Bassically, turn computer on, go to my computer, insert windows 7 disc, go to explore, click on sources, and locate product. Which I did. And it does show not one but about 20 validation codes, several for windows home, some for windows home preminum, (which I have) and windows professional. I have entered a couple of the codes but it ways "wrong registration #" I havent run through the full list yet. Will one of these numbers really be the validation code. Sone else told me that there are no validation codes in the disc and that disc can be used on mutiple commputers but would have to purchase a registration code for each computer. I clicked on some web site and they say for a fee they will locate my validation code deep in ecryption on my C: drive (question, if it is not really on the disc, then how would they find it on my c: drive) I was recultant to pay them any money. Can some computer geek set me straight. I cant locate the person I bought the computer from. I think he said he lost the package it come in.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

Some say I can contact Microsoft and at a smaller fee, get the validation code.

This is my recommendation.

One person told me that the validation code is located, deep inside the disc and told me how to retrieve it. Basically, turn computer on, go to my computer, insert windows 7 disc, go to explore, click on sources, and locate product.

I've never heard of this method, so I cannot comment on this.

Someone else told me that there are no validation codes in the disc and that disc can be used on multiple computers but would have to purchase a registration code for each computer.

Correct. You can use the same disc to install the OS, but you'd need a different product key for each machine.

I clicked on some web site and they say for a fee they will locate my validation code deep in encryption on my C: drive (question, if it is not really on the disc, then how would they find it on my c: drive) I was reluctant to pay them any money.

Sounds sketchy. I'd stay away.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:37 AM

If this is genuine, Belarc Advisor will show the key.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:05 PM

If this is genuine, Belarc Advisor will show the key.

Not if the product key was never entered at install or activation time.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:41 PM

One person told me that the validation code is located, deep inside the disc and told me how to retrive it

I am not sure if the mention of the program is OK , but I found mine with Magical Jelly Bean.
Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder (a copy and paste of the title) is what I used to check my keys, and the keys do show up in the later versions. (Freeware)
This was from my 2nd hand XP (as a check), and I do not have it on my Win 7, as I know the code and I have the sticker.

There are several other free programs that can be easily accessed from Google.

Just be careful as a lot of unwanted extras (foistware) download with it.

Regards -
P.S.

It would (should) have been needed to activate (within the ? 30 days) at install time. Unless it was not a genuine version.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:07 PM

I purchased a used computer and was given what appears to be a genuine microsoft windows 7 disc. They did not give me the package it came in with the registration code.

Hi again -
I forgot to ask briefly , what O / System is currently installed on this computer. E.G. XP , Vista ? ?
>>"what appears to be a genuine microsoft windows 7 disc."<<

In what way do you think it "appears like Genuine" -

If this is just an Upgrade DVD, then you may be able to still use the XP or Vista ID key that you have on the computer body.

Regards -

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:21 AM

One person told me that the validation code is located, deep inside the disc and told me how to retrive it

I am not sure if the mention of the program is OK , but I found mine with Magical Jelly Bean.
Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder (a copy and paste of the title) is what I used to check my keys, and the keys do show up in the later versions. (Freeware)
This was from my 2nd hand XP (as a check), and I do not have it on my Win 7, as I know the code and I have the sticker.

There are several other free programs that can be easily accessed from Google.

Just be careful as a lot of unwanted extras (foistware) download with it.

Regards -
P.S.

It would (should) have been needed to activate (within the ? 30 days) at install time. Unless it was not a genuine version.

From the opening post
They did not give me the package it came in with the registration code. Windows loaded fine and works fine but says I have 15 days to registra.

I cant locate the person I bought the computer from. I think he said he lost the package it come in.
End Quote

My guess is where the OP says registration code, we should be substituting Product Key.

Edited by rotor123, 26 September 2011 - 09:22 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:25 PM

This is added as a FYI from what I read on my XP - I did a reinstall and then rechecked also -

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3

Product Part No.: A22-00001
Installed from 'OEM' media.
Product ID: xxxxx-OEM-0014691-xxxxx match to CD Key data
CD Key
: xxxxx-xxxxx-DM7C6-C2X2G-xxxxx
Computer Name: JOHN-1E5571CE01
Registered Owner: John
Registered Organization:

Hi again -

This was my exact copy / paste result from Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder search on my XP -
>>>(xxxxx -)<<< Note - I have blanked these numbers / letters out for privacy only, but they do match all the codes on the case sticker.

I was not sure that the computer codes on the 2nd hand computer were all OK , but this confirmed it -

Regards -
EXTRA - Try each code found as you have more than one attempt allowed at registration (or telephone and ask) -

EDIT - Is there ANY sticker on the computer case at all ? ?

Edited by noknojon, 26 September 2011 - 06:27 PM.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:50 AM

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/productid.vbs
From Kellys Korner -
I know this works with XP, not sure of Windows 7 -

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:21 AM

This is added as a FYI from what I read on my XP - I did a reinstall and then rechecked also -

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3

Product Part No.: A22-00001
Installed from 'OEM' media.
Product ID: xxxxx-OEM-0014691-xxxxx match to CD Key data
CD Key
: xxxxx-xxxxx-DM7C6-C2X2G-xxxxx
Computer Name: JOHN-1E5571CE01
Registered Owner: John
Registered Organization:

Hi again -

This was my exact copy / paste result from Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder search on my XP -
>>>(xxxxx -)<<< Note - I have blanked these numbers / letters out for privacy only, but they do match all the codes on the case sticker.

I was not sure that the computer codes on the 2nd hand computer were all OK , but this confirmed it -

Regards -
EXTRA - Try each code found as you have more than one attempt allowed at registration (or telephone and ask) -

EDIT - Is there ANY sticker on the computer case at all ? ?

True, you can pull the product ID number from a working computer. However with brand name OEM Activated computers it will be number that can not be activated. You would have to use the number off of the sticker. Since you can install Windows 7 with no number and have it work for 30 days the number that shows is useless.

167 @ June 2015

#11 john11139

john11139
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2011 - 01:31 PM

Thanks for the answers. Now I need a few more. Windows7 finally went to "black screen" because I did not activate. I downloaded "Jelley Bean" and it does show a COA#. I tried entering that and it wouldnt take it. Gave a error code "Bios missing required license". I called Microsoft and couldnt get any help. I have the Windows 7 disc. I took it to a computer shop and they said it was not a counterfit. So should I do a fresh installiatilon and enter the code that "jelley bean" found. It is a Gateway computer and has the original Microsoft windows XP professional sticker attached to it. I did find a sleeve that the windows 7 disc was in and it only had a hand written COA# on it and it is the same as the # "jelly Bean" showed. So should I try a fresh installiation? The only suggestion Microsoft could give me was purchase a complete stand alone new windows7 for $197. Computer is not worth that much. I see windows 7 home premium on e-bay for 40 to$50. Microsoft said these would probably be counterfit.

#12 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 02 October 2011 - 11:01 PM

You can get a "family pack" for 3 users ... http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Premium-Upgrade-Family/dp/B002MV2MG0
(ps ... do a "clean install")

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users