Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

start up program

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gbadger

gbadger

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:33 PM

Hi Everyone i have a question to ask and it is:when windows xp loads up am i able to have a selected program start automatically.
many thanks for advice and help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:40 PM

Absloutely, gbadger.

To add a program to your Startup folder (that will make it work each time you start Windows and you will see it in the system tray):

1. Click Start > Programs, then right click on Startup folder and choose Open.

2. On the Startup window, go to File menu and choose New > Shortcut.

3. In the dialog box click the Browse button to specify the program, navigate to the program's .EXE file.

4. After specifying the program path, click next and finish. Then you will see a new shortcut (computer icon) in the Startup folder.

5. Right click on that shortcut and choose Properties, select Minimized from the Run combo box, and click Ok, then close the Startup folder.

6. At the next time you start your computer the program will run automatically and you will see it in the system tray.

#3 gbadger

gbadger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:12 PM

many thanks bludgard i will give that a try i did look around for the answer first but could not find the answer,that`s why i posted.Thankyou for a prompt reply

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:40 PM

No problem. Hope it works for you. :whistle:
If it does not, I beleve you can create a program to run at start via Task Scheduler on XP. I know it works on Windows 7; I have never tried it on XP. I have to see about that now....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users