Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Researchers find Mac OS X malware posing as PDF file

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:06 PM

Researchers at F-Secure have discovered a Mac OS X malware file masquerading as a PDF file to lure users into installing a backdoor trojan.

The malware, flagged as a trojan dropper, installs downloader component that downloads a backdoor program onto the system, while camouflaging its activity by opening a PDF file to distract the user.

Full article here: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/researchers-find-mac-os-x-malware-posing-as-pdf-file/9451

As always with any OS, run an anti-virus and practice safe browsing habits. Hopefully this won't propagate any further.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:35 PM

I think it is funny how some people thing they are safe with a Mac on not getting a virus. I have always been told the only safe computer is one that never touches the internet. If any PC gets online it will be subject to virus activity at some point in time.

Yes I know there are more viruses for windows cause most people use Windows but as an OS gains more users than the hackers will adapt and start creating viruses for that OS.
Posted Image

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 24 September 2011 - 03:31 PM

I have always been told the only safe computer is one that never touches the internet.

Nor one that is exposed to removable media that has been used with the Internet.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:00 PM

I've found that even without the amount of viruses that Windows has OS X will still slow down and get bogged up so a clean install on a regular basis has been the norm for me. Always good to know that people are keeping a look out for us Mac users :)
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#5 The Pugilist

The Pugilist

• Members
  • 826 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:55 AM

I have always been told the only safe computer is one that never touches the internet.

Nor one that is exposed to removable media that has been used with the Internet.

Nor one that has ever been exposed to a user :P
//Dave

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 01:53 PM

How about this: the only safe computer is the one that is never built. :lol:

Also... :whistle:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/apple-blocks-malware-as-pdf-threat-but-new-attack-emerges/9492

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:59 PM

How about this: the only safe computer is the one that is never built. :lol:

Also... :whistle:
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/apple-blocks-malware-as-pdf-threat-but-new-attack-emerges/9492

Good one :hysterical: So if Windows and Mac are now vulnerable to viruses, looks like i will be using Linux now, hopefully that's virus free :P

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

No OS is guaranteed secure against malware. The first virus was written for the Apple II, actually.

Also, there is malware for Linux, but with a market share of about 1%...it's usually not worth the time to write malware for Linux (it's harder anyway).

Anyway, I'm sure quietman7 has some canned speech somewhere that would put my post to shame. :lol:

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:14 PM

How a user sets up an operating system and uses it is much more indicative of whether it will get infected than what operating system it is.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic257582.html

True, Linux by default is set up more securely, but that doesn't make it malware-proof. Rather similar to having a stout brick house, all doors with deadbolts, and a security alert system not being very secure if you invite the burglar into the house, give the security code to guests, leave doors or windows open, fail to lock the doors, or fail to set the security system.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#10 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 03:56 PM

+1 :thumbup2:

#11 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 09:01 PM

I seriously did not know that the first virus was written for Apple II :hysterical:

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#12 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 10:37 PM

You need to read up on your history then. :P

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:03 AM

I'm already reading on the computer development history :bubbles:

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users