Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows recovery disc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sniper8752

sniper8752

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 PM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:19 AM

I am a little confused about the recovery disc that you create on all new laptops. Is this the actually OS disc, or something else, like a recovery disc that restores it to a certain point in time?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:51 AM

It will reinstall the operating system and drivers for the various components of the computer. Your computer will be returned to the way it was when you took it out of the box.

Most computer manufacturers don't include recovery disks with their systems. They now have a recovery partition which is what is used to reinstall Windows and recover it to factory defaults.

You can make a set of cd's of the recovery files. I highly recommend that you do so. If your computer ever gets to a point where you need to reinstall the OS but you cannot access the recovery partition the disks will be available as a backup. I also suggest you go one step more. I don't know about all manufacturers but my mother's Compaq only allowed me to make back up disks one time. After I did that, I made a copy of the disks. That way if the disk becomes scratched or cracked and can't be used you have another one to fall back on.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 September 2011 - 11:57 AM.

#3 sniper8752

sniper8752
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:04 PM

so how would i activate that partition, and have it set me back to the manufacturer defaults for everything?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,896 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 02:53 PM

I think that the function/method of use...for the restore mechanism...depends on the system manufacturer's instructions for that system.

There is no universal pattern that I'm aware of, in fact...there is variation among the different systems sold by a manufacturer.

I'd suggest looking in the owner/user manual for specifics...if not there, then the website of the system manufacturer.

Louis

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:35 PM

so how would i activate that partition, and have it set me back to the manufacturer defaults for everything?

Hi -
Several things can occur .

First - Do you have a particular reason for needing recovery at this time ? ? E.G. Infection or bad drivers.
Second - Can you post the Make, and if you can, the exact Model of the computer ? ?
Third - Have you already made any type of back up DVDs for the computer ? ?- Some can need up to 3 DVDs for Recovery.
Fourth - If we know Make and Model, and you have no major infection problem, it may be as simple as clicking one of the "F" keys -

Regards -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users