Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Powers on but won't boot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 deputyb716

deputyb716

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:27 AM

I have about a 5 year old Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop. I attempted to get on the computer and found that it would not boot. Pressing the power button, the lights on the keyboard comes on, the processor fan spins for a second then everything just seems to stop. The power light and the battery charge light remains on and you can feel a slight vibration coming from the underside of the box (possible fan). The screen remains blank/black. I have done the following things in an attempt to correct the problem.

1. Removed all power sources
2. Removed the hard drive
3. Removed the memory
4. Removed the CMOS battery

Nothing has made a diffference and booting remains the same. It does not seem to be entering the bios and screen remains blank/black and no beeps or other audio/visual confirmation of booting.

Any and all assistance is much appreciated!!

Edited by hamluis, 23 September 2011 - 10:44 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:34 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

I need from you a little bit of past history regarding this laptop.

Prior to the current situation you are experiencing, have there been any issues you can recall that involved system crashes or notices about video drivers not responding?

Have you experienced this problem before with this laptop?

Anything that you can offer us will be most helpful in our offering you a solution to your problem.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 deputyb716

deputyb716
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 06:50 PM

I have had no problems with the computer. The only thing that I have noticed lately, is that the bottom of the computer gets warmer than it used to. When this was discovered, the computer had been left on overnight. When I tried to use it the next morning, it would not power on. When pressing the power button, the power light comes on and the fan spins, but nothing else (no sounds from booting or anything on the display).

#4 deputyb716

deputyb716
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:46 PM

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!!

#5 westom

westom

• Banned
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:59 PM

Can anyone help me?

You did not say, for example, what happens when you try to boot from the provided CD-Rom. Or boot comprehensive system diagnostics from that CD. Does it boot from the CD-Rom (as even indicated by sound)?

You do not say what battery voltages are. That must be measured with a multimeter. An important fact necessary for a useful reply.

You do not say if the screen flashes an indicator such as square lighted box in one corner. The computer could be booting but not displaying an appropriate indication.

Other possible solutions could be suggested. However posting them is too complex for this board. Answering those above questions may result in a solution. Otherwise other simple tasks I might suggest are best done by a computer tech.

Your symptoms imply a simple problem. If that tech cannot fix it, then find a better one.

#6 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:29 AM

I would suggest that we see if your video interface is still functioning correctly to single that out before going any further.

Most laptops have an external VGA port for hooking an external monitor, I would suggest you try that to see if an image appears on that monitor.

If you see any image on the external monitor, then we have to look at the possibility that either your laptop inverter or back light is faulty.

Now if your external monitor fails to show any image, we should be looking at the possibility that your video graphics chip built into your laptop has a fault, by either a chip failure or a faulty connection between the laptop screen components and the laptop motherboard.

You mentioned heat, heat is a destructive source when it comes to electronics. That can cause components to fail or connections to become loose, from the expansion and contraction of metals caused by there being hot which causes expansion, versus cold which causes contraction.

I will not go into much detail at this point beyond testing with an external monitor until you post back the results of said test in this topic.

If I do not reply back to you within 24 hours, please PM me and if we need to go further with testing I'll tell you what to do.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users