Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to Wireless Router

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TeeMo

TeeMo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:18 AM

I have a Dell Inspiron 1011 that is running Windows XP Home Edition 2002 Service Pack 3. I have not been able to connect to a wireless router in months. The computer uses a Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Minicard. In the past, I've had issues of the wireless connection turning on and off and it had to do with a conflict between Dell's Wireless WLAN Card Utility and the Windows Wireless Network Connection. After erradicating a virus I had on the computer, now I am unable to make a wireless connection to the internet. I've tried restarting the computer and wireless router many times. I've enabled and disabled the wireless card. I have made sure the Wireless Zero Configuration is running.

Desperate for help!!! Thank you.

Edited by TeeMo, 23 September 2011 - 10:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:09 PM

Hi,TeeMo.
Can Windows "see" the router or other hotspots?
Have you tried uninstalling the drivers for all network interface cards? Your mini-card probably came with a driver disk, no?

#3 TeeMo

TeeMo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:52 PM

Hi Bludgard. Windows cannot "see" the router or hotspots. I have not tried uninstalling the driversfor the network interface cards. I am unsure if the minicard came with a driver disk, I'll have to look around for it. Is that something I can download from a site? Also, do you recommend re-installing the network interface card drivers as the course of action to solve my problem?

#4 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:06 PM

You could most likely find the NIC driver(s) on the manufacturers website(s). I only mention this as a precaution. It never hurts to be prepaired before implementing changes. Usually Windows will have the drivers for onboard hardware and will be able to reinstall the device drivers after a reboot. This is not always the case.

TeeMo asked:
"Also, do you recommend re-installing the network interface card drivers as the course of action to solve my problem?"

An initial step to troubleshooting. Rarely has networking issues been so easy to resolve as getting it fixed with the first stab, TeeMo. Networking is something that I try to avoid like the Plague. I have to deal with it occassionally, though.

#5 TeeMo

TeeMo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:23 PM

I have tried downloading the drivers from Dell but the computer will not let me. I have also tried downloading AVG and it says there is no internet connection (but I am connected via cable). I tried updating Malwarebytes and it also does not let me saying there is no internet connection when, in fact, my internet connection is working (plugged in to cable, not wireless). Some internet sites do redirect automatically somewhere else. It seems I continue to have virus problems which may be the root cause of my computer ills. HELP!!!

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:18 PM

It seems I continue to have virus problems which may be the root cause of my computer ills.

I agree, TeeMo.
Personally, I would wipe the drive and reinstall; or recover by way of a previously created system image backup predating the infection. Until the virus and/or malware malfunctions are dealt with, there really isn't a point in correcting something that will get raided again. It's possible to get your machine running well again, but I am a bit dated and don't feel like dealing with the cat-and-mouse games. I do hope you understand.... :wink:
Someone may be along shortly to offer additional assistance, TeeMo. I apologige for not being able to help you at this time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users