Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:56 AM

Hi all,I dual boot with XP and Windows7.All works well in both but I can't boot into safe mode in XP.When I tap F8 I get into the screen ok but it gives me all the options for D drive.XP is not on D drive,it's on E drive.So when I hit safe mode it just freezes.Is there anyway I can change the drive letter in the registry or something like that.I tried manually to change the letter and did but nothing recognizes it,Tony.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:15 AM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#3 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:07 AM

Thanx for the quick reply Louis but I am at a loss here.The tower itself says cooler master but I know this is just the case.I think this was put together at the computer place where I bought it 2 years ago.There are no markings anywhere else.I can't refer back to them,they have since closed down.It has run really well since and I have no complaints with the puter itself.Just wanted to know if I could change the drive letter in the registry.Thanx again.
Tony.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:43 AM

If you can post a screenshot from Disk Management, we would have a better idea of what is possible, IMO.

Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

#5 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:50 AM

Sorry Louis,I don't know how to post a screenshot,Tony.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:58 AM

My error :).

How to take and share a screen shot in Windows - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial96.html

I simply take a screenshot, using the PrintScreen key. The image is saved on the Windows clipboard.

I then open my graphics-editor, load the saved screenshot...and convert it to a .jpg file, saving it to my hard drive. I do this because the initial image may be too large to be uploaded as an attachment to a post.

I then initiate a post and use the Attachments option (using Full Edit function)...to upload the image in the post I am making.

Louis

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 23 September 2011 - 11:05 AM.

#7 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 11:33 AM

Here goes nothing?Hope this works.

Attached Files

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

Well done, thanks :).

What I see...looks normal to me.

C: is the XP drive, E: is the Win 7 drive which reflects the boot files...while D: is your optical drive. F:/G" are card readers, I assume, while H: is your external drive.

Is your system set so that XP is the default boot option that is chosen...if you don't select which O/S you want to boot into?

Sorry, but I have no idea why D: is even a consideration as a boot option in Safe Mode...if your system boots properly.

What are the boot option priorities...you have set in the BIOS? What is the first option?

Louis

#9 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:20 PM

Thanx for looking Louis.Actually C is 7 and E is XP.Windows7 is the default boot option.I can switch the boot option if you think that matters,Tony.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:30 PM

Are you using Easy BCD?

FWIW: Whichever Windows is booted into...will appear as C: in Disk Management, while the other will be E:.

I would try making XP the default, then see if you can get into safe mode with the F8 key.

Louis

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:30 PM

What I see...looks normal to me.

Louis

There is something decidedly not-normal in that Disk Management window. In the top line where information is displayed pertaining to C: drive (the drive containing the Windows 7 system):
  • File System: <blank> (presumably this should display "NTFS"?)
  • Capacity = Free Space ??? (this can't be correct)
  • % Free: 100% (this can't be correct)

Edited by AustrAlien, 23 September 2011 - 07:31 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#12 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:29 PM

You are right about something being wrong.It has always been like that since I dual booted.That picture was taken while I was in XP.Another words,when I am in XP windows7 does not show anywhere,not even in my computer.When I am in windows7,Xp shows and I can access it.Sounds strange but
has never caused any problems.It started when I used a registry hack to be able to use system restore in both operating systems.Seems like that happens to everyone who dual boots XP an 7 if you install XP first.

As far as using BCD,I went in there and changed some settings and safe mode works now.Thanx to Louis for helping me with this and solving my problem.

Tony.

#13 Plumber

Plumber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:34 PM

Sorry,forgot to ad this.It is the screenshot from Windows 7.You can see the differance,Tony.

Attached Files

• Attached File  0.jpg   253.7KB   3 downloads

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:29 AM

Thanks, AA, you are right...I didn't even look at the upper portion of the screenshot.

Not sure why Disk Management would reflect things that way, but if problem seems to be resolved and system boots into both O/Ses...seems like we can close the door here.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users