Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Resolution Changes Automatically

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ldogg1

ldogg1

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:43 AM

Hi all,

I have setup a PC to run as a HTPC, connected to my tv.

It is a Dell PC running WinXP Pro 32-bit, and I have upgraded the video card to a ATI Radeon HD5450 to allow for a HDMI connection from the PC to the tv so I can watch movies/shows etc. The power supply is 600w so there should be no issues with low power.

I seem to be running into an issue with the screen resolution changing automatically from 1024x768 to 640x480.

It occurs every time I start, or restart the PC. It will always boot up and open Windows XP in 640x480. Also, if I am watching a movie in MediaPortal (media management software) and I stop the movie, it will kick out back to the menu and reset itself to 640x480 as well.

I've tried updating the drivers of my video card to the latest version, and that did not help. It is becoming frustrating when every time I boot it up or close a movie, I have to exit out and change the screen resolution to 1024x768.

Any thoughts or ideas on how to correct this?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:09 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Have you checked the AMD website for the latest drivers for your video card?

If you have the catalyst installed is that where you are setting your screen resolution at?

What is the brand name and model number of your television set and does this happen when your computer is attached to a computer monitor?

Does both the VGA and DVI ports show the same results?

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#3 ldogg1

ldogg1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:11 PM

Hello!

Thanks for the follow-up, here are the answers to your questions below...

Just a quick note, I'm trying to view in 1366x768 resolution which should be best for my television which is 720p.

Have you checked the AMD website for the latest drivers for your video card?

Yes, I have downloaded and installed the most current drivers/catalyst software. I initially installed the version that came with the video card on the disk, however I upgraded to the newest ones on the website to ensure this was not the issue.

If you have the catalyst installed is that where you are setting your screen resolution at?

Yes, I am setting the screen resolution in catalyst. When I first go boot up the computer and go to the Windows Properties (right click on desktop) to adjust the screen resolution through Windows, the only option I have is to adjust to 800x600, and it is not even available to adjust to 1366x768.

What is the brand name and model number of your television set and does this happen when your computer is attached to a computer monitor?

The television is a Panasonic Viera TH-42PX75U plasma. It seems to have a similar issue with a computer monitor attached. If I change the resolution of the screen to 1366x768, it will revert it back to 1280x768 when either the computer is restarted or if I stop a movie in MediaPortal. It appears to be the same issue, although with a different resolution setting.

Does both the VGA and DVI ports show the same results?

The VGA appears to have the same results as the HDMI as noted below. The video card does not have a DVI connection built into it.

Thanks again!

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 27 September 2011 - 08:53 PM

Try this link http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/29733-45-user-screen-resolution-resets-itself

Tekken

#5 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:59 PM

I have an older ATI video card on one of my computers, I checked my available resolutions and I see 1360x768 and 1360x1024 as my available screen choices.

The video card I have on this system is an ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050 Series, it allows dual monitor, it has an AGP, DVI and S-video port.

This is through Windows XP's screen properties and I have it set to 32 bit.

I am not sure where you are seeing 1366x768 as an option, unless you are using the ATI catalyst color center, which loads settings once the software has loaded, but I do not see an option to choose 1366x768, so perhaps the solution is you should be choosing 1360x768 instead.

Have you tried right clicking the desktop and choosing properties, settings and slide the slider over to 1360x768? If your using dual monitor connections, there should be two screens in the middle of the box, select either monitor 1 or monitor 2 and make the changes and click apply.

Like I said, you are choosing 1366, try choosing 1360 instead.

Let me know if this resolves your issue.

Bruce.

Edited by MrBruce1959, 02 October 2011 - 08:03 PM.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 45 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#6 ldogg1

ldogg1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:24 AM

Hi, Sorry for the delay getting back...

I tried your recommendation of setting it to 1360x768, and that does not seem to resolve the issue. When I reboot the pc, the resolution is set back to 720x480 and is way out of skew for the 42" widescreen.

The only way I can adjust the resolution back to 1360x768 is through the Catalyst Control Center. When I reboot the pc and it loads in 720x480, the Propoerties>Settings options will ONLY allow it at 720x480 and I cannot toggle the resolution higher or lower.

However, once I reset the resolution to 1360x768 in the Catalyst Control Center and I go to Properties>Settings options, the ONLY new setting is 1360x768 and it does not allow me to toggle it higher or lower from this setting. It seems very strange, and I've attached a couple screen shots detailing before and after adjusting the resolution in Catalyst Control Centre.

I wonder if there is some "derfault" resolution setting that is hardcoded in the motherboard that automatically resets the pc to anytime the pc is rebooted. I would have thought the video card would override this, but I don't have a lot of experience with this.

Any ideas???

Thanks againAttached File  720x480.png   24.12KB   3 downloadsAttached File  1360x768.png   22.21KB   3 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users