Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No space on hard drive

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:57 AM

I have an Acer computer and the hard drive is splt in 2. I'm running Vista. One drive (D) has all my documents on (photos, videos, Word...) and the other drive © has all my programs on. The size of the C drive is 144GB, but I only have between 15mb and 60mb (it varies) of space free. I removed all unneeded and all unused programs. The folder AppData has well over 100GB of files, but viewing the folders inside I can't understand what is taking up so much space and all the folders in there are to programs I need (e.g. Microsoft Office and Windows files). There's no folders to programs I previously removed or anything and no folders I can remove.

The only programs that update are the anti-virus, anti-malware and anti-spyware programs and they only update in KB so there's no massive updates that are taking up space, no documents and the programs I have are mostly really small files (e.g. 20MB) and I don't have that many programs installed. But my anti-virus is now refusing to update because, even though it's less than 200KB, it says there is not enough hard drive space to perform the update.

I often clear Internet cookies, the cache, history and temp files so I can't even delete them for a bit of extra space just to update that as there's nothing to delete. There's nothing else I can move over to the D drive and even if I could I really don't want to just move everything over - just a few days ago I had 2GB of free space on the C drive so even moving stuff it seems the free space is going to vanish quickly.

How can I get more free space?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 AM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:03 AM

You have two choices. If there is enough room on d: drive you can use a program such as Easeus Partition Master to move some of the free space from d: to c:
In my opinion, the better choice is to image the drive and replace it with a larger drive.

#3 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:23 AM

You have two choices. If there is enough room on d: drive you can use a program such as Easeus Partition Master to move some of the free space from d: to c:
In my opinion, the better choice is to image the drive and replace it with a larger drive.

I found a way to get more space previously by deleting a few extra things and that space - GBs of space - vanished in a day or two. In fact, I've done that two or three times. So say I move space over or get a bigger hard drive, even like 320GB extra, it'll keep vanishing and in a few months I'll be back to square one with no space. What can I do to solve the problem and stop all the space vanishing rather than just preventing it saying no space for a bit longer?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:30 AM

Assuming you don't have a malware problem, the biggest culprit is generally system restore. You can limit the amount of space utilized by system restore (http://www.vista4beginners.com/System-Restore-Space-Used) or simply disable system restore and start using disc imaging software on a regular basis to create images to a separate hd.

You can use an app such as treesize to see where the space is currently being used (http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/)

#5 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:57 AM

Assuming you don't have a malware problem, the biggest culprit is generally system restore. You can limit the amount of space utilized by system restore (http://www.vista4beginners.com/System-Restore-Space-Used) or simply disable system restore and start using disc imaging software on a regular basis to create images to a separate hd.

You can use an app such as treesize to see where the space is currently being used (http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/)

I'll have a look at the system restore and I ran a malware scan yesterday or the day before and found no problems.

I was going to use that program until I saw how much space was taken up under AppData, now I dunno whether to both cuz it's obvious that that is taking up more space than it should. If it is just AppData how can I free up space? Because I know it's an important folder and the folders are to programs I need installed I don't really wanna mess around with it or delete folders if I need them.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:00 AM

DO NOT TOUCH the AppData folder.

A malware scan is half the effort. Run a full scan with your anti virus app too.

#7 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:13 AM

DO NOT TOUCH the AppData folder.

A malware scan is half the effort. Run a full scan with your anti virus app too.

I know it's all the Windows settings and stuff so i wasn't going to. But there's summat in there that's taking up a lot of space that needs looking at, I just don't know what or how to solve the problem.

I ran a full system scan with malware, spyware and anti virus. No problems came up on any.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:15 AM

Well, just open the folder in Windows Explorer and sort by size to see what's eating the space. If you have to look in each folder, so be it. Otherwise use an app like treesize as I suggested above.

#9 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 06:15 AM

I used TreeSize to see where all the space was being taken up and it is under the AppData folder, under Local and Microsoft. There's a further 9 folders under that which are all under Temporary Internet Files. At the first folder (temp Internet files) it says 107.4GB and by the last folder it's at 106.4GB. Can I just delete these files? I assume they are just normal temporary Internet files and nothing that will affect the system? But I don't get why they are there - isn't that what it should be clearing when you click delete temporary Internet files on IE under delete browsing history?

Edit:
The last folder is FLVService. Been looking online and programs from Applian Technologies apparently creates this folder. Certain programs allow you to change the size of this folder so it doesn't store as much, but all I had by them was a toolbar that I don't ever use, which I have now uninstalled. I have used other programs by them, but uninstalled them a long time ago. So am I now safe to delete the files mentioned above? Can I delete the actual folder if there is no program using it now?

Edited by sn0zb0z, 25 September 2011 - 06:36 AM.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:40 AM

Yes, you can delete the files in the temporary internet files folder. The easiest way to do that is via Control Panel - Internet Options - Browsing History - DELETE and put a tick in "Temporary Internet Files" then DELETE. You can also use ccleaner if you prefer.

#11 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 07:55 AM

Yes, you can delete the files in the temporary internet files folder. The easiest way to do that is via Control Panel - Internet Options - Browsing History - DELETE and put a tick in "Temporary Internet Files" then DELETE. You can also use ccleaner if you prefer.

I already did that. It says I have 12200 files and it goes back well into 2010 for when they were created. So obviously it's not deleting them in that FLVService folder. They seem to be something to do with a program that is storing Internet files, but now that program is gone and just left the temp Internet files behind that it stored. So I guess if I just selected them all in the folder and clicked delete it would be fine?

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:03 AM

I would think so, yes.

#13 sn0zb0z

sn0zb0z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:46 AM

284MB to 106GB of free space, much better lol. Thanks for your help :)

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,576 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2011 - 08:51 AM

You're welcome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users