Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

personal shield pro follow on problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 berge

berge

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:57 AM

Hello there,

first i would like to say thanks for your site!!

yesterday one of my work pcs got infected with personal shield pro. i run a very small business and it is the main backed up pc for the office. as my it guy has decided to no longer work in it and i dont have a new contact yet i was stuffed!!

i followed your guide to fixing it but am still experiencing some problems.

i will try to explain what i have done and what is still happening as clearly as i can but please bare with me!!

first of all, as soon as personal shield pro took over the pc i tried to restart it. this caused a whole other problem!! i couldnt get the pc to restart. it just looped through to bsod and turned off again. it wouldnt even let me start in safe mode, or any other mode.

i then used the recovery disk to attempt to repair windows. thiskind of worked as it would now let me start the pc in "last known working set up"

i then followed the steps of your guide by transferring the files needed over from another pc. i got to the stage where the malware software made me restart the pc, then couldnt restart it again!!

i re did the recovery disc stage and again managed to restart the pc in last know working set up mode.

i completed the final steps of the guide down to updating the host file.

this mornign i have yet again managed to start the pc in last know working set up mode (it wont just load straight through like it should). although there is no sign of personal shield pro there are still some major issues with the pc.

internet explorer will not load pages - when you type in an address it comes up with the error message "the requested lookup key was not found in any activation context".

antivirus doesnt seem to be working

windows defender will not update but will scan.

im not sure what other troubles im having as frankly i dont have the tech know how to look and find error!!!

sorry for the long winded message. im thinking that maybe this pc needs to go to pc heaven but im really hoping not as i dont have the cash to replace it right now!!

any help much appreciated!

Edited by hamluis, 23 September 2011 - 09:09 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:14 AM

im thinking that maybe this pc needs to go to pc heaven but im really hoping not as i dont have the cash to replace it right now!!

Why would you think that when you can just format and reload your operating system and it will be as good as the day your purchased it.

I can't speak to your problems since they are malware related. You will need to wait for a malware member.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 10:33 AM

Can you post anew topic with a DDS log and we can clean this.

Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9,which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If Gmer won't run,skip it and move on.
Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users