Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with a hard drive accessory (not sure what i need)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 padf00t08

padf00t08

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 12:56 AM

I need to get files off of my old hard drive onto my new computer. I believe there's a virus on my old one, and in the past my ex would borrow this thing from his friend that allowed me to put my hard drive inside, then plug the apparatus into a working computer so I could scan and get rid of virus' and get past the BSOD. He always called it an external hard drive, but I have one of those and it doesn't look anything like the other thing and I don't want to ruin it trying to pry it apart. My old computer won't load windows at all, after the dell screen it just goes black, so I can't really get into the old computer at all. I had the google redirect virus and had been running multiple anti-virus, spyware, malware, etc., and then I ran disk defrag, went out of town for a day, and came back to a dead machine. If anyone knows what this thing is called I would appreciate it, as well as any other advice on getting files from the dead-drive.
Old computer is a Dell Dimension 4600, Pentium 4, with XP
New computer is a Dell Inspiron 620(?), i5, with Windows 7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 01:36 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer.

The problem computer may not be a total loss and may work once a clean operating system has been re-installed on a currently installed hard drive, so do not trash that computer yet.

There are two ways to get files off of a hard drive and a virus scan can also be performed on that drive in the process.

You can hook the infected hard drive up to another computer by installing into that computer as a SLAVE drive.
This would be the case of the hard drive was physically hooked up to the motherboard.

Another method is getting an external drive bay that attaches to the working computer through the USB port.
Inside the external drive bay is the connections for the hard drive.
Now it depends on the type of hard drive you have, it matters if it is an IDE/PATA type or a SATA type, because SATA and PATA have entirely different connectors.

I am providing you with a link to http://www.newegg.com for some external enclosures

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=92&name=External-Enclosures

Now like I stated above, you can add your infected hard drive to another computer internally as a SLAVE drive and boot off of the operating system on the MASTER drive and either scan the infected drive, or transfer files to either your MASTER hard drive or a USB thumb drive.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users