Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard won't work

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sherrylynne

sherrylynne

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:26 PM

Have to use an older computer for now(regular is being fixed), and neither keyboard will work. In spite of running the troubleshooter which shows keyboard is connected, it seems like no power is getting to it. Granted, haven't used the old one for a while, but the same thing is happening with my normal one as well. I've tried shutting the comp off for a few minutes, but nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by hamluis, 23 September 2011 - 09:08 AM.
Moved from XP to External Hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:43 PM

Post the computer model, operating system that is having problem with the type of keyboard connection(PS/2 or USB). Are you getting a response from keyboard during first bootup of computer such as numlock? What changes made prior to sudden display of behavior?

Tekken

#3 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:37 PM

Hi, sherrylynne.
Look in Device Manager for any warning/danger symbols that would denote any troubled device(s).
Try uninstalling the device(s) under Keyboards within Device Manager and reboot the machine to let Windows reinstall the driver anew.
You may get an idea of the root cause by browsing around in Event Viewer.

#4 sherrylynne

sherrylynne
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:24 AM

Ok, it's an old Dell/interon computer, not sure of model. Windows XP home edition. Not sure what you mean by PS/2, but it connects by a cable to a purple port in the back of the processor.
And I get nothing from either the keyboard that goes with the comp., or the keyboard that goes with my normal one. Even at boot, it's dead.
And Bludgard- I almost hate to ask- but how do I get to "device manager"? Nor do I understand "event viewer". Sorry- not used to doing anything much beyond running scans for virues, defragging, etc!

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:12 AM

Your keyboard is connected by PS/2. We can figure that out because PS/2 keyboards do connect to the purple port.

Try this simple thing first.

Turn off the computer, unplug the keyboard, plug the keyboard back in, reboot.

Sometimes this simple trick will get a PS/2 keyboard working again.

If not, you can move on to trying other things.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 September 2011 - 09:54 AM.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:16 AM

You really should not "hot connect" or "hot disconnect" a ps2 device.

#7 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:34 AM

My bad.

To reach Device Manager, right-click My Computer > Manage > from the navigation pane on the left, select Device Manager. Find Keyboards and expand the entry. Right-click the option(s) that is/are displayed and select Uninstall.
As for navigating Event Viewer, it may be worth reading the article here. Sometimes Events can be quite cryptic, so I use something like this to try to get some understanding of what the entries mean.

Hope this is helpful.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:53 AM

Allan, you are correct. I mis-typed because, well I don't know why and don't know what I was thinking when I posted what I did. I used that trick a few times with a PS/2 keyboard and it always worked. And the computer was off when I did it.

Thank you for pointing that out. I will edit my post now.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 September 2011 - 09:55 AM.

#9 Computer Repair Tech

Computer Repair Tech

• Banned Spammer
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:53 PM

I already encountered same problem you have now, t I bet the driver for your keyboard might be missing or need to be updated. If your keyboard came with a software disc, insert it into your computer to reinstall the driver. Otherwise, follow these steps to update your driver.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2011 - 06:37 PM

Some PS/2 ports have BIOS functions to enable/disable them.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users